Tuesday, November 25, 2003

BA Cyclocross 6 - 2003

The 2003 Bike Authority Cyclocross Series

November 23rd, 2003

Another lovely day... partly cloudy and breezy... and about 60-65 degrees. It's been dry all week, so there will not be much mud.

I returned the 48/38 crank set I was running last weekend. Not because I didn't like the gearing, but because neither ring was running true. I've ordered an FSA 48/38 crank set to replace it... but it hasn't arrived yet. So I'm running the standard 53/39 up front.

CAUTION! Whine alert! I did not do as well as I wanted to in this race, so my comments may sound a bit whiny... it isn't my intent... I even waited a week to write this up, to avoid the really unnecessary whining that I was feeling.

The Course

We're at Boughton Farm this weekend. This will be the last course we visit, and it's nice that we get to run on it twice (Today and December 7th). It really is a farm!

We start near the barn, with a slight climb into the wind. Pass the greenhouse and make right through the finish area. We then start heading around the fields. The next turn heads up an incline (into the wind again) to the first barrier set. The back half of the field still has cabbages almost ready for harvest. The course heads downhill to the only mud section in the back corner.

After rounding the cabbages, it's into a wooded section. We wind around a bit to the log crossings. There are two 10-12 inch logs, about 10 yards apart. They are ridable except the course runs parallel to the first log and you need to make a right turn at the crossing. There is almost enough room to line yourself up, but you scrub a lot of speed doing it. log.

We then wind our way out of and back into the woods until we hit the gravel road. The winding has some up and downs, nothing very long, but I was changing gears a lot through here. It's then a short quick road section to complete the circuit of the first field. Then we take right and start the second field.

The second field starts with a more road section on a slight incline to the second barrier set. This section is run along a tree line, so the wind doesn't really play into this.

We then curl around to the only appreciable climb (which isn't all that much) before heading back across the field. This one is totally exposed to the cross winds. There are a couple of slight S turns to make it interesting, then we're back among the buildings.

We loop around and between the buildings until we make the right turn around the greenhouse. Here we were getting blasted by the wind and with the slight incline, it seemed one of the more challenging portions of the course. Even though it was only 20 yards or so.

The Pre-Race

I arrived at about 10:45 again... plenty of time to get ready. Good signage this time, so there was no chance of getting lost.

I got dressed and started my pre-rides... it's getting to be a ritual, which is nice. Around the cabbage field and into the woods, were I meet up with some of the Lake Effect riders... I try to get through the log section a few times. It seems it'll be ridable if I've got a clear trail in front of me... but I have to slow down a lot to make the turn and be set up correctly for the crossings.

While we're there, Rudy Sroka discusses removing one of the barrier sets... it's at the bottom of a short decent in a turn where you climb back up along the same hill, in one of the loops on the way back around the cabbage patch. It really does scrub a lot of momentum, and would have added the only probable run up. With it's removal, the course is considerably faster.

I think I ended up with 3 warm up laps, instead of my usual 4 to 5. I also felt a bit rushed to get enough to drink and eat before the start... It didn't seem to bug me much, except for a few Red Bull burps right after the start.

I'm racing cyclocross at the end of November in short sleeves and bare kneed! It's borderline doable, but since it's a race... I figure I won't get cold.

Before the start Chris Aron and Kevin Ward are talking about the course... really dry, with only one mud section. They talk about increasing tire pressure. Me and peer pressure. I pump up to 60psi.. from my normal 40-45. After the race, I wished I wouldn't have gone quite so far.

Because there are no run ups, and no lifting the bike, I put on a water bottle cage.... One thing I end up missing is a drink throughout the races. Since it won't be in the way, I might as well drink. I filled it about half way, hoping to have it empty at the end.

The Race

I started in the second row... next to Phil Hines, behind Bill Marut and Mike Gorman. So I'm in good company... and we're off.

Again I got a pretty good start. I was about fifth through the finish are and up the incline to the first barrier set. I figure that is about perfect. I can sit in for the start, and I'm far enough up to stay out of trouble when people get hung up though technical sections.

Around the cabbage patch, through the mud and into the woods... The first time over the logs, I know I'll be running. I make it through here, then start to think about recovery.

My typical race strategy, has been to go hard through the first half lap, then recover, and then take back any places I've relinquished and go for any more I can get. So I started letting people go. As they'd pass, I'd try to sit on when I could, but I wouldn't get crazy about letting them go. The last thing I want to do is blow up, and loose more places because I was trying to push to hard.

It was NOT easy to let some of these guys pass me. I ended up about 9th by the third lap. I wasn't panicking, but I was starting to pick up my pace a bit. I was comfortable, and was reeling in the next three riders. All of whom I figured I could easily pick off before the finish.

The first up the road was Kevin Ward. I'm bringing him back... and I'm bringing at least one guy along as we make the turn onto the crosswind section. I hadn't even thought of getting this guy to work, if he wants to come around, I'll sit in until I pick it up again.

As we come through the first S turn, he offers to pull... I'm all for it. so he comes around, and asks if I'm on... away we go... I can work with this. The guy is on a full suspension mountain bike, and he is going at a good pace.. I'm thinking we can easily pick up the next three guys now, and we'll sort out the rest on the last lap. We head through the buildings, and as we start to head to the greenhouse turn, I'm thinking about holding close to his wheel and tucking to avoid the wind blast there. He takes the turn a bit tight, and as I'm holding on, my wheels loose contact!

I wasn't down for long... in fact I don't think I was down at all. My right foot was out of the pedal, and I landed an my knee (on gravel, thank you very much), but popped right back up. The guy that was pulling, heard me go down, and hesitated, ready to wait for me... I just shouted "GO on!" I probably should have let him wait... but I wasn't sure how I'd be going now. He took off, and I started my solitary chase again.

OK, so my leg is covered in blood, but I'm not hurting too bad. I can still push the pedals ok... so I figure I've got a chance to still pick up some places. I'm sitting 10 or so now, with 3 laps to go. I figure I won't catch my pulling buddy, but I may still catch someone who's blown.

I was hoping for another top 5. The problem with goals like this is it's beyond my control. If a new guy or 2 shows up (like they have the past couple of weeks), you can end up at 7th, with the same performance. Or if someone has a great day, or the course setup fits someone better than it fits you.

So, as I'm working around the course, my thoughts were... I've got 21 points between me and the 6th place guy who is definitely up the road. I only need to finish, and I'll maintain my 5th place. Not that I was thinking of bailing, but I was trying not to panic and kill myself. Then my true form started to show... I got caught by another rider.

Again I tried to sit on, but I just didn't have the legs.... my finishing thought was comforting.... then I got caught by 2 more riders right before the last lap.. One guy on a single speed, and Julie Lewis from Lake Effect. I did alright around the cabbage patch, but they dropped me after the log crossing... I lost about 35 seconds in that half lap... and I was trying to push it hard!

Finish

I came across the line, and immediately squirted down my knee with the water bottle. Phil Hines was there and offered to grab his first aid kit. So I headed back to the van to wash up and bandage my knee... I was more pissed off at loosing places that I was sure I could get back than anything else. I totally acted the jerk to a couple of guys that I was chasing also.... oh well. How to win friends and influence people.

Here I was hoping to pick up 3 places and instead I lost 4 more. Realistically, I think I could have ended at 9th on my own, maybe 7th or 8th with help.... or I could have blown without the wreck, and ended up exactly where I was. 13 wasn't a bad placement. It's still middle of the pack. But it was my worst place to date... well, I'm hoping I can only do better from here.

Post

This season is all about learning, despite my fixation on my current overall standings. I've learned a lot about what gearing to run, and race strategy. Where my strengths are and where I can use some work. I'm hoping to either run A's next year (and get creamed regularly) or do better (as in more consistent, thereby improving my overall standings) in the B's. A lot depends on how my training goes throughout the year.

So, Shoulds and should nots!

I should have talked less and pre-ridden more... more warm up, and practice on the log crossings would have been helpful. I ended up running the logs at all but one instance. I was either going through behind someone or in front of someone.... so it never seemed safe enough. I don't think I lost time there, but I may have been able to gain a little by riding instead of running.

And more time would have made my pre-race more comfortable... more time to hydrate and eat correctly. I'd like to be about done 30 minuted before the start.

I should NOT have pumped up my tires so much. I figure 50psi may have been about right... and it may have kept the tires attached to the ground around the greenhouse.

I should NOT have gone on the group ride on Saturday morning before this race. My experience is if I ride hard the day before an event, I don't have the top end power when I want it (Usually climbing). There weren't a lot of climbs, but I let the last two riders go on the short inclines after the logs.... and there were a number of them. Looking back, I probably lost the 7th through 10th places on those same inclines. I can do an easy solo ride, when the competition isn't there. Even though I said I'd go easy on Saturday, I still found myself pushing on the climbs (not crazy pushing, but still...), and jumping at the sprints. Pavlov would have been proud.

I'm trying not looking at these as excuses... just things to watch for if I want to do well in the future... they're all educational.

It turns out the guy I thought was in 6th, was in 7th. The 6th place rider was the first guy I would have caught before going down. ... I'm still in 5th place. I've conceded 8 points, but still have a 13 point lead. Unless something really crazy happens. I'll keep my 5th place.

The interesting thing is second third and fourth place are all separated by 9 points. So those guys will be gunning to sort it out on December 7th. I'm hoping to be up there close to see the fireworks. If they reverse the course direction... I may even have an advantage again.

Pics

Trying to hang on... the guy in front of me is in 7th on points, and finished 7th. They guy behind me was the first to catch me after the fall, and finished 10th.

Working together to make some places... for now. 2 turns later, I was bleeding. That's my pulling buddy, finished 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment