Monday, November 20, 2006

BA Cyclocross 4 - 2006 The Fields

November 19, 2006

Cleveland weather is made for 'crossers. Saturday was clear and 50. A nice day to work in the yard. Sunday's race day was 40 and wet... the kind of wet that can't decide if it's rain or snow, so it does both... Based on numbers, we are not concerned with the weather. The last two very wet races have still attracted the same, near 70, racers as the dryer dates have had.

So the SnakeBite cyclocrossers arrive at Broadview Heights for round 5 of the Bike Authority series ready for some cold, wet, muddy racing. Pat, Linda, Gary and Rick are racing in the B race. Brett is racing A's and I'm in the master's field.

The Broadview Heights course typically combines some tough grassy sections with some twisted single track and some pavement thrown in for good measure. This year the Lake Effect team put together a super tough course with 2 run ups, made even tougher by the wet weather. The grassy section before the run up was completely unrideable, with many other sections marginally so.

The races start with a short parking lot section leading to the first soccer field circuit that was like mud soup along the first length, then just leg sapping mud across the back and up the other side. A short pavement section led to the next Soccer field circuit that had a couple of good lines, and a couple of bad ones. From the two fields to the gravel decent/bridge/climb combo. At the top across pavement around the baseball fields, over a 6 foot mud transition to the paved basketball course, another 10 foot of mud to the road. The road led to the muddy grass decent with an optional road alternative.

At the bottom of the decent is the quagmire. 40-50 yards of mud that leads to the first brutal run up. The run up is at least 50 foot up a sled hill that is super steep at the top. Once over the run up, a triple switch back section of very wet grass, then onto the pavement. Around a bleacher section, and head back down the sledding hill. There are good lines down the hill, that lead directly to the hill exit, and there are bad lines that lead to slogging to the exit. Once safely down, it's back on the road for a short climb to the second run up. 20 foot up or so, then over a super wet flat section, before a double switchback leads through the finish. A quick slog around the concession stand and we do it all over again.

I did a prelap before the B's went off, and looked for some lines through the current conditions. It looked to me like we'd be running quite a bit. Watching the B racers, it didn't look like much fun out there. Everyone was pretty muddy, completely wet and most looked miserable. Ed Delgros destroyed the field again by over three minutes turning in average lap times that would have put him in third place in the A race.

I figured it was my kind of weather, and my kind of course since I did well last week in similar conditions. Brett and Rick had brought easy-ups for us to warm up under. So trainers out, Brett and I spin while the B's raced. Front row seats. Maybe I should figure out how to attach the cowbell to the trainer so I can save my voice while warming up.

Race
After another prelap with Brett, I decided that the sunglasses were not going to work. Mud was everywhere, and a lot of B's were dropping theirs, so Brett and I both went without. One less thing to worry about.

On the line, 10 A's and 6 Masters. Typical showing for the masters except that series number 3 had gone to Philly on Saturday and wouldn't be in for this mud fest. This is a huge development for me since it moves Bill and I into a fight for the third place, instead of fourth overall. Since they only pay to 3, it means I'm racing for more than "just because"! Off go the A's and a minute later, we're racing.

Across the parking lot, and into first field and the mud, and it's wet spraying everywhere... I couldn't see a thing, except that I was in fifth wheel when Derrick came up on the outside of the course. Glasses, I felt like scuba equipment was in order. I don't use contacts, but I can't see how anyone could possibly wear them in 'cross. I had more junk in my eyes than I ever have. Blech!

Around the far side, and things started to sort out some. As we hit the second field, Derrick faded back, and it was Brent and Rudy are pulling away, Bill and I, then Derrick and Brad. I kept up the pressure as Brent and Rudy opened a gap. Bill was right on me as we went over the bridge to the other half. Derrick and Brad had pretty much dropped off by then.

Bill hung on until the run up, when I got a small gap. Then on the remount, I realized I hadn't shifted my gear to something workable... neither had Bill, and he had more gear grinding trouble getting remounted than I did. He even had to hop off to fix it, and I was away! Except it was during a slogging part of the course. I worked it hard, and came to the decent. Railed away to the second run up.

I had held the gap for a short time, but Bill made his way back to me by the first soccer field. As we hit the second field I tried an attack on the inside line. It worked pretty well, and I got another gap. I tried to drill it down the hill and back up the other side. Once over the top I tried to recover some but still keep up the pressure. Once again. Bill clawed his way back to me.

OK, I'll keep attacking and see what I can do... eventually he will break. Down the hill to the long run. This time I remembered to shift down before the dismount. I had a really hard time with this part of the course. I stayed on the grass and made the left turn into the bog before slowing almost to a stop and dismounting, shouldering the bike and hoofing it. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to hop onto the road next to the grass, and swing the left turn wider to carry some momentum into the run. Second time up the hill, and there is essentially no gap. I'm leading through most of the lap, hoping to put the pressure on. Second time through, and again Bill is on my wheel.

Around the first field again. Bill gets around me, I again attack on the second field and try to get a gap. He digs in and holds on. Over the bridge, back up on top... nothing good. The only gaps I get are small, and they don't stick. I'm working hard over the whole course, it seems like the only way to recover is to slow down... not a good strategy.

Three laps through, 2 to go, and we catch another A racer. One of Bills team mates swaps bikes as we head toward the fields again. Around we go, and both of them are on my wheel. I try again to open a gap, but it's not working well. Over the bridge and to the top, and I try to accelerate instead of recovering. Bills teammate comes around, and I'm able to latch onto his wheel for a few seconds hoping the acceleration will shake Bill... it doesn't. Heading to the basketball court, and I get the mud section a little squirrelly, as I hit the pavement, the bike goes a little sideways, but I somehow pull out of it. Don't know how, but I was real glad my race wasn't over right then.

Down the grass hill, and I try to make it clean. Up the run up, and Bill tries an attack at the top. I stick on his wheel, and head down the hill. Problem is, I'm faster on the decent than he is, so instead of taking us both down, I swing out wide to the left, then have to slog back to the road climb. I follow through the second run up, and he opens a small gap through the switchbacks to the finish. His teammate yells that he's got the gap, and I dig to close around a turn. I'm NOT going to let him go, and I will attack hard on the next run up.

This is the whole race in the final lap. I'm digging in to hold his wheel, and he is slowly opening up a gap. Around the fields, and he's got about 15 yards over the bridge. I need to get back on, over the top, and he's opened it some more. At the top of the run up, it's up to 50 yards. I need to rail this decent and gun it! Sure enough I screw it up, and go wide again. He's starting the second run up as I hit the road. I know it's over when I get to the remount, and he's already around the the first of two switch backs. Nothing to be done now. Shoot.

Post
Well, it was certainly a race. Probably the closest race I've been in since I started this cyclocross madness. I've sprinted for position in the past, but never battled from the line for the complete race. We were pressuring each other the whole way, unfortunately I didn't, or couldn't, take advantage of any of my gaps to finish it long before the last lap.

Missed the mad craziness from the team today. Special thanks to Gary and the Mirandas for their support, but there is nothing like the bell ringing, screaming that we had last weekend. It was harsh weather to be standing around though.

I have to add: I was reading another blog today, and it totally captured this season in cross for me. Nemesis I know that I'm working harder this season than I was last year in the A's... so having someone to chase has been helpful. Still, we're finishing about 2 minutes behind the leaders. So it's not like we're really pressuring them yet. Though this race was a close as we've gotten yet.

Two more races in the series, both in Copley at the farm. Flat course with a bit of twisty single track. The wind comes into play with no shelter. Muddy if it rains, icy if it snows.

2 comments:

  1. John,
    I think the Nemesis blog has captured this season for me as well. We, (I assume that it is me that your referring to in your blog), have been so close in every race that it's making for some very exciting racing. I'm really glad that you made the decision to race in the Master field this year. You have pushed and pulled me more this year than anyone has in the past. It's been a great season so far with 2 more to go. Whatever the outcome of the final 2 races are, it's been a great duel between you and me. Great racing John and I look forward to more years of great cyclocross.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course... no one else qualifies for Nemesis in cross this year.

    ReplyDelete