Sunday, April 29, 2007

RATL 2 4/28/2007

Race 2 of the RATL series put on by Summit Freewheelers. The SBR plan was to be aggressive and attack to try to form a winning break away. If that doesn't work, we'll be setting up for a sprint finish. It's always the plan, but it rarely works out. This time, we're also planning on the blocking tactic to help our break attempts. It's time to ride like a team, instead of a group of cat 4 riders wearing the same shirt.

The day was overcast, with a chance of rain. At RATL, that means low turn out. Even with the relocated finish... people are nervous on this course. At the start there are about 25 guys. We have Jason, Chris and me. Gary is supposed to get here, but is fighting car trouble. He eventually arrives 5 minutes after the start. So how do you control the race with 3 guys? Go with the plan.

Summit has numbers, as usual for the home club. I think there were 6. MVC has 2, Spin has 2, 1 Stark, 1 Orrville and an assortment of others, none with numbers.

From the gun, Jason takes it out quick. Our plan is to give it a few laps before starting the attacks. Summits' plan is to go a bit earlier. Noah goes off the front in the second lap... with an unmarked guy, that we find out (from another Summit) is one of theirs, full disclosure I guess. So they've got two off the front. I'm near the front, but I won't work for it, someone will pull this back before we need to go to work.

Lap 3 they are back, and Jason takes off on the hill. I hit the front, and sit on it... letting the gap open up. Noah, fresh from the last break, takes off in pursuit, and I let him go. Then another Summit comes up, and we slow the pace down to let the break of two work together. Plan A is in progress. Fun times, too. Every time someone wanted to work, I'd let them... then sit on their wheel until someone else came up. Then I'd slid over to that wheel. Leave these guys out in the wind. With Summit up the road, there weren't any other teams that could organize a chase. So blocking was pretty easy.

Jason and Noah worked their break well, and stayed away for about 4 laps. We pulled them back at the top of the hill, and then I sat on the front. I wanted the pace reasonable, but not too fast as I waited for Chris to attack next. Down the hill and through the lot... I knew about where Chris was going to go, but I was getting nervous. So, when two Summits came up on my left, I started to accelerate to follow... then I heard Chris right behind them. Perfect. "GO!", and I shifted back to blocking.

For some reason, the field was not happy with Chris and the two Summit guys going. I was still blocking, when an MVC was on the front... and he started yelling "Pull THROUGH". Of course, I replied... my guy is in the break, so I'm not working.

Then the bridges started. First the other MVC, then a few others. Pretty soon Chris' break had about 6 or seven guys including two Summit. Summit didn't like who was there I guess, cause they pulled it back.

OK. Now it's my turn. On the 8th lap, right before the hill... I give it a go. Look back, and Chris and Jason are smothering the front. Perfect. I give it all on the hill to open the gap, and I'm away. Feeling a little Jens Voight... my gap is pretty large. 7 laps to go... can I go the distance? I'm not sure, but I'll try it. Push on the hill, and set a sustainable tempo for the remainder of the lap... repeat ad nauseum.

Through the parking lot, I see Doug from Summit trying to bridge up, and Mehul from Spin a little off the front. Before the hill, I encourage Doug to get to me, so we can work together. He attaches on the hill and I pull him up to the top. Once over, its time to work this. So we go into rotation. We're trading long pulls. Doug pulls through the lot (into the wind), and I come around and pull up the hill. On the hill, a couple of Summit supporters are encouraging us. 14 seconds and growing... don't talk, WORK. and again... still at 13seconds.

At 5 laps to go... over the top of the hill, Doug says "we're caught...", NO! Keep working it... they are gaining, but we could stay away at least another lap if we would work it. he pulls, but his heart isn't in it. Through the lot, he sits up, saying "Don't let them catch you on the hill, cause you'll get popped right off the back." Hmm, maybe. Maybe not.

I continue a bit, but without help I figure it's over. They catch me at the base of the climb, I feel fine, so I just jump into the top 10. We're down to 4 left, and we can switch to lead out mode. Except Summit still wants to attack again. Noah and his unmarked team mate go again. I'm thinking they're not going to make it. Noah has already been off the front for almost half the race. Jason and Chris are right up there with me... and I'm working on recovery.

The break is hanging out there for the lap, with little concentrated work to bring it back. Then with three to go, Jason decides it's time to do the work. To the front he goes again. Jason working, another guy then Chris and me. I keep encouraging Chris to be patient, that he will pull me to the finish. It's going to work. Jason does the job of shutting down the break with two to go. Then it's just keep Chris calm... two more. I'm sixth wheel. Jason and Chris are there. This is working exactly as planned. Jason talks to Chris, as the others start to wind it up a little in preparation.

One to go. Up the hill, Summit is on the right with Doug calling the signals. "Patience, Patience..." Good advice for us too. Chris is still here, ready to go... "I'm going to ride your wheel to the finish." Over the top, through the lot. I can tell Chris wants to go, but he holds it in, until the back side... then Doug comes up on my left as Chris gets wound up. Chris takes it to the Bridge, then Doug takes over... pulling the Stark rider, not Summit though. Perfect, I'll sit on Stark now... Doug winds up... and hauls it up the hill... I wait, a little more, then open it up with about 100 meters to go....


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Absolute teamwork to deliver the win!

Of course, I had no choice with the work Jason and Chris had done for me, right? Chris came through in ninth. Jason was last of the group... but still pumping the air for the team V!

Post race analysis.... We really worked the field. I had the Stark guy doing work with MVC while Jason was off.. it turns out that my break was pulled back by the lone Orrville. With assorted other guys working to bring the other attacks back. It's all fine by me, cause they spent their energy there, instead of saving it for the finish. If Chris's break could have held on for a couple of laps... maybe mine could have gone the distance... who knows.

Saturday was a great team effort. We had at least 4 team mates cheering us on from the sides... I hear they were as excited as if they'd been in the field. I see it as our attacks softening the field, and helping me get to the line first.

Plus it was a total blast... the whole race! Now THAT'S bike racing.

2 comments:

  1. Dude... You're the man!!! You've worked very hard to get where you are in bike racing. It's also very cool to see the team willing to work together for a single goal.

    Great job SnakeBite!!! Great job John!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome job! I really wish I could have made it there to race with you guys. Hats off though on the finish and the entire effort to get there. I smiled every time I saw you guys off the front.

    Car's going in the shop tomorrow. Hopefully the repair isn't too much; I'd like to be sporting some Zipps the next time I race...

    ReplyDelete