Sunday, May 06, 2007

RATL 3 5/5/2007

Cinco de Mayo and race 3 of the Summit Freewheelers RATL race series. This week, we had 5 in the cat 4 field with Rick Adams, Gary Burkholder, Chris Bilowich, Jeff Comer and myself. The field was slightly larger than last week at 31, but the mix was different. Summit still had 6 or so, as did Stark, and MVC showed with 4. So I got a little more nervous about getting a break off that might actually stick for an appreciable time.

I contemplated going out hard from the gun... but I backed off the idea, then Mehul from Spin rode away from us before the first turn. The comments about him coming back were flying as the field settled in. Almost as soon as he was back a lap later, another guy goes (Stark?), with Doug from Summit. They get a couple hundred meters up, and some guys started to get nervous. I noticed that Doug wasn't taking any pulls... so I knew they'd be back soon. I'm not sure why he wasn't working, but I told one of our guys that we didn't need to work to bring this one back.

Sure enough, they came back within a lap and it's Gruppo Compatico for a lap. Heading up the hill on the fourth lap, I tell Chris he can go whenever he feels ready. I expected it to be on the next time up the hill, but he attacked over the crest, and took an MVC with him. Very nice... a Stark and a Summit guy bridged up before I got a good block going. So 4 away, with SBR, MVC, Stark and Summit included, all the teams with numbers. This could be very good! I got an MVC on the front with me, and we're both in the blocking mood. So they get a reasonable gap and it's looks good for everyone. There were a few guys that would come up and work to bring the break back, and I'd do my "sitting on" thing. The gap would come down, then they'd pull off, and I'd soft pedal and let the gap grow again.

It looked like the group was working well together, as I saw different guys on the front. Chris was working, so I knew this could stay out there a bit, and might soften some of the other guys in the field working to bring this back. The break stayed away for two or three laps, when Summit Doug comes up and works to bring them back. I don't understand, but it's a typical Summit move. We're all together in the parking lot again.

I don't see any other SBR's near the front, so I give it a weak attack up the hill. Someone is right on my wheel, so I figured I was just turning the screws a little. At the top of the hill, I back off expecting someone else to pull through, but no one does, so I'm sure it's all together. When I do get off the front, I see we've got 4 away again. Summit Doug is with us, as is Spin's Mehul and a Stark (I think... I'm having trouble identifying the fourth guy in these breaks for some reason.)

Mehul and the fourth guy do some pulls, then I come through at the parking lot. I try to pull off and again, Doug doesn't pull through. Doug isn't contributing... again. Weird. Well, I'm not going to kill myself for this break then either. I didn't really commit when I started it, so it's no loss for us anyway. Sure enough we're back in before the end of that lap.

For a third time, a break gets way with Summit. And again, they actively bring it back. I guess this was the Summit strategy of the day. Get in every break, but don't contribute to it's success. Then pull back every break regardless of who is there. I'm not sure what the motivation of the tactic is, but at least they were following their plan. What this SHOULD do is prevent them from having to chase any breaks that they make, because they know that their guy will be blocking the break from success. It's interesting because Chris recognized that there was baggage in his break... and then was not sure if he should continue working either. Pretty observant for his first really successful break attempt ever.

So, that was pretty much the whole race. Gary tried to get off the front a couple of times, but didn't really get a gap. There were a few other small gaps formed here and there, but invariably someone would get nervous and chase their team mates back.

At one point, an MVC got away with another two guys. We didn't make the break, but I wasn't ready to have the team chase it back, since I figured Summit would be more than willing to do that. Gary and Chris where near the front, and I told them to relax and give it some space. There was another MVC next to me, when a third MVC jumped to either bridge or pull the break back. I gave a shout, and Gary and Chris jumped on the guys wheel... as the MVC next to me tried to call his guy back. Oops. Another team into chasing their own break down. The MVC next to me was pretty frustrated with his mate.. "That's the third time he's pulled one of our guys back... maybe I can get one of your jerseys." I just smiled and said "maybe he feels his chances are really good today." Typical cat 4/5 mentality I think. Everyone of us thinks we're the strongest guy in the field, so we'll chase every break so we don't miss our chance for glory... even if it kills those same chances and/or works against the team goals.

For the most part, I did my best to keep the team calm, and get ready for the finish. It was working pretty well with three to go, I knew I had three guys around the front waiting to build a lead out train. So I started to work the order. With two laps to go, there is a mass of 3 MVC on the front, and Gary was in there policing the front. Chris was a bit behind them, a few wheels ahead of me, and Rick pulls in beside me. I tried to get the train to be Gary, Rick, Chris. But the positioning game is already starting. I give Rick the instructions, and we try to get Chris' attention. Communication is a bit rough at this point as we're all trying to stay near the front.

Bell lap, and we're all in some position, but we're not very organized. The field is doing the "last lap roll over". It's kind of like a big kahuna wave... guys are all trying to move to the front, then they fade back as the pace picks up, carrying other guys back into the field.

Gary is near the front keeping the pace high. I'm trying to be patient, but I also want to stay in the front 10. Chris is ahead, and I'm working to get his wheel. Rick got caught up in a roll and is now behind me. OK Chris, you're it for me now. Through the parking lot, and the roll continues... I'm trying to surf the wheels to stay near the front. Gary is pulling still as Chris falls back behind me.

Gary is still pulling around the last turn. I'm about 10 back, in the center of the field... as Gary pulls off the front, I'm coming up behind him, and I call for him to keep going. But he's cooked. OK, I'm on my own.. this is still good. I've got a decent position, and I can follow anyone's wheel. Around the bend before the bridge, and Rick gives it the gas, calling as he comes up on right side. I try to jump his wheel, but he's got a Summit in tow... so I'm on that one instead.

Over the bridge, and the group starts the sprint. An unattached guy goes up the left edge hard and gets a gap. Rick pulls it up the first hill and the Summit dies right where Rick pulls off... so I go off hard in pursuit. The unattached guy has got a nice gap, and is still working. Does he have enough? I'm gaining, but not fast enough. He even has time to sit up and raise his hands... a very nicely timed jump. I came across in second about three lengths behind, and Chris dug in for fourth, disproving his "I've got no sprint" comments once again.

So we had two in the top five. Not the win, but still some very good results for the team and another great team effort. Everyone contributed to the team goals. I'm really pleased with how SBR has been racing in the cat 4 field this year.

OK, I'm now sitting on 17 points to my cat 3 upgrade. I need 20... now my goals are clear for the last RATL next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Another great report and SBR showing. Good job guys!! Its a pity other teams chased down there own attacks because a break might have stayed away!!

    ReplyDelete