Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Westlake Worlds 8/21/07

Finally back into racing this week. Between vacations, and family visits, I have not raced since July 4th, and I've been jonesin' to get back into it. With the pavement issues cleared up, it's another edition of the Westlake Worlds. I'll keep it short today... I hope.

At the Parking lot, Paul Martin is sporting his new stars and stripes jersey... with only 25 or so, it looks to be a fast one. Dick got off early in the second lap to start the action. Off we go.

I did a good deal of work at the front . It's pretty fun to start bringing a break back, and having the stars and stripes pull through. I guess he was happy to let me pull as long as I wanted. I don't think it's really my responsibility, but what the heck.

Paul and Jeff Braumberger (Texas Roadhouse) got away with Tom Frueh (Torrelli) and Rudy Sroka (Lake Effect) about 6laps in. Tom Keller, Ray Huang and I were chasing with one StarkVelo, and we managed to keep it reasonably close. Somehow another group of 3 or so got off the front so there was now 7 up the road with only 5 places. I took a pretty big pull, and Ray launched off of that with a couple others. So all three Torrelli, both Texas Roadhouse, 2 Lake Effect, an RGF or 2, and Ray made the race.

Back in the field Tom Keller and I continues to work, even though most of the remnants had given up. Mostly big efforts, then drop back in to recover. I started to go for a 1 point "loser" prime (give the field a prime, even though the race is gone... losers), but an RGF (Polo) got a jump. I should have jumped also, cause I probably could have at least fought for it. It pissed me off since RGF had done no work in our group, and was still jumping for the primes. So when they rang the bell for the next "loser" prime, I decided to jump at about 250m. It worked out well, even though guys were shouting "Left" as I ramped up... no one else contested, and I got my first A race prime. $3 is $3 after all... and my name in lights someday.

The field started pissing around for the field sprint with 1.5 to go, so I attacked. They brought me back right at the S/F, then slowed up after turn 1. Another guy kept it up, so I went with... and pulled through hard. Pulled off and everyone was going slow again... so I attacked again. Saving yourself for a field sprint for 12 place or so seems pretty lame to me.

I was brought back, and didn't have it to attack again, but still pushed it for the sprint. No contention, but I tried to keep the racing hard anyway.

Ray ended up working well with Weeks, and Tris Hopkins to get up to the front group. He did a boat load of work, and ended up with 6th place... so between his place, and my $3 prime, it was a good night.

2 comments:

  1. YOu were awesome in the race last night and showed some new warp speed and power. This bodes well for Cross me thinks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're back in the mix. I'm just starting to get back after the Troy fiasco, and I know what you mean about not racing for a while. I'll probably be at WL next Tues, and I'll probably be fighting just to stay on...

    ReplyDelete