Monday, September 24, 2007

Michigan KTR Double Cross Race 1 - 9/22/2007

For the last two years, I've planned on doing a road trip to Michigan for the UCI KTR Double Cross weekend. Two days of big show cyclocross action. Well, the biggest this side of Belgium anyway, and reasonably close to me. Both previous trips, something came up that convinced me not to spend 6+ hours of travel time. This year, the promise of Jonathan Page and other big names, and the family schedule worked out, so I'm in the car at 5:45a.m. driving to a race that starts at 11!

Three and a half hours later, I pull into the Springfield Oaks County Park. The venue looks to be an equestrian event park, with barns, and horse rings, and tape weaving around the area... I love this stuff! It's about 9:20, the C (3/4) race starts at 10:00 and I'm pre-registered for the B (2/3) race, so I've got a little time to get out on the course before the first race of the day. I get kitted up, and head to registration.

At the registration table, I asked about registering for the Master's age group race, that started at 12:15. I'd get about a half hour between races, and I figured this time the double would be perfect. Race the B race for a place, then do the extra race for practice. The promoter gave me a $10 discount for the second race, after I explained that I wasn't doing the elite race(!). I also verified that they would not be pulling lapped riders from the course, cause if I paid for pain, I wanted the full measure.

I had enough time to get a quick look at the course, so I jumped on right where I was.

Course Description
This course was, as I heard a C racer exclaim, "diabolical". The announcer was welcoming everyone to "off-camberville!". And it was true cyclocross! They had a start grid taped out on the pavement at the start line. Now I have to use skills I have not practiced... race before the race to get a descent start position!

A 200m paved section, transitioned to gravel, then a short off-camber climb to a gravel drive that took us to the back field. We looped around this, with a nice little chicane, a switchback, and a short 90* off-camber left turn that lead slightly up-hill to another longer gravel section. Weave between some large animal barns on pavement back to the front field, where most of the course was layed out.

Around the barns to another tight switchback, then back across the road and a slight uphill to the barrier set. Once through the barriers, we hit an off-camber down and up, then another longer down, into a short power climb back up, then a drop across the road behind the start. Past the pits the first time, and along the far edge of the front field on a long reasonably flat section that went through a small sand pit (that was pretty firm) near the lower horse arena and into the uphill wood section. We came out of the woods on the back field, and looped back to the front field right next to the outward entry course.

The transition to the front field was nasty. A tight turn onto gravel, that looped to the right and dropped to a 180*, steeply off camber, left hand turn. Then climb immediately back up, and right turn to drop back down toward the middle horse arena. The drop lead to a tricky uphill chicane that snaked around a viewing box, then dropped back down to another 180* turn into a steep power climb. At the top, we swing around, through the horse barn, and drop again to the pit level (no entry here yet) and swing around to climb a logged run up. Remount at the top, and drop back around the barn to go between the two horse arenas between the course to the woods and the course to the power climb. Not done yet, we hit one more 270* off camber left hander, that led back along the course you just did, took us past the pits (with entry here) and then back to the finish pavement.

Pre-Race
The course was probably 2 miles long, and I had about enough time to do almost 2 full laps before they cleared the course for the first race of the day. While checking stuff out, I ran into Gary Dugovich from Beaver Valley Velo and his team mate Mike. Gary sold me my 'cross bike, and we've raced often together, so I had a friendly face there to give me some mojo. Mike and I were both doing the B race, and Gary was doing the Master's 45+. I chatted with them for a few minutes while the C race got under way, then went to get my stuff all together....

Pin my number on, and layout the Master's numbers. They had chip timing on an ankle strap, and I had two chips, once for each race. I got a bottle of Accelerade and some gu ready for the between races. Then I jumped on the trainer to start my warm up. I started to get a bit nervous about the race, since I really hadn't taken anything at speed yet, so I was grateful I had some time between the C and B races to get out there and try some stuff. Especially when the bike slid out on me on some of the off-camber turns. Lines would be crucial today.

B Race (Cat 2/3)
At about 10minutes to 11, I pulled to the start grid and the front line was full already. I made another mistake by lining up inside the second row. In hindsite, the outside spot would be best in the second row, where the inside is best on the front row. Mike was in the edge position, and I sucked down a gu and some last minute water before the start. Gary was telling Mike and I to stay near the leaders and work together to get up there if necessary. Cool by me. I like the idea of getting some help.

There are 30 on the line in what looks like 3 or 4 rows. We're given the officials instructions, cat 2/3 race, 45minutes, no punches below the belt... there's the whistle, and we're off!

The typical sprint from the line, and I try to move up as best as I can. Up into the back field and I'm sitting about 10th... Mike does really well to get about 3rd heading into the first switchback. Dropping down, and into the off-camber left turn... I'm careful, and sure enough, someone right behind me goes down, and the field splits. I do the count, and I'm 10th with a descent gap behind me... and the front riders are already 100 to 150meters ahead of me! WOAH!

Dig in, and go! Through the barriers... around the course and into the woods. Through the 180* off camber, and my bike slides out from underneath me... I'm back up quickly, but the guy behind me has caught back on. So we start working our way though the front side of the course. Crazy stuff, the way the off-camber slows me down. I just want to stay upright now, no more mistakes!

I make a quick goal of staying in the top 10 today. I realize I had no idea how I would do in big race like this... in a cat 2/3 race... in general! So, top 10 would be fine with me. That and to beat Mike, cause he's the only other guy I know here.

So off we go... the first lap they announce the lap time of 7:37 for the leader... and I come in 30seconds later at 8:07. 30 seconds back in a 2 mile course, wow! I'm slow! But still top 10. 45 divided by 8 is what? 5, maybe 6 laps. OK.

Second lap, things start to reshuffle as people start settling into their paces. Gaps start opening, and people start coming back off the first lap efforts. I'm running from the guy behind me, and chasing the guy in front. On the back side through the switchback, I pass Mike again, and yell some encouragement. He holds my wheel for a bit, but then fades off... I guess he went out too hard. I'm working steady, and I bring back another guy, and leave him behind.

Starting the third lap, the flash 3 to go, and I'm in about eighth. Eighth! I can deal with that... all I have to do is hold this pace and I should be fine! Work the course, give it the gas on the flats, and get through the technical stuff safely. I can see seventh place about 100m ahead. The front 6 are gone, I think in a group of 4 and a group of 2. Somehow, through the woods, one guy comes up from behind and passes me. It's going through one of the crazy off-camber turns that he opens a gap, and I loose his wheel. I chase but not hard enough and the gap opens up.

Right as I head into the 4th lap, Mike comes back and also jumps ahead. I'm not sure how he did it, or why I let him go... but on the back side, Mike makes it to a group of 3, and I'm about 50m behind... chasing! I should have drilled it to close that gap, but I had a switchback and an off camber to get through. Safe through that, I start to chase. 2 laps to go, I have to pick up the pace!

Well, 4 against 1, they must have the same strategy as I do, I don't close that gap down. I'm still running from 1 guy behind, and chasing 4 up the road. Half way through the lap, and the group of 4 splits into two groups of 2, with Mike in the front group. Now I'm chasing 2!

Bell lap, I've got a good gap behind me, if I don't slack off now! GO!!! Get another place! On the backside, the group of 2 ahead of me split again, and I'm chasing 1 now, the same guy I was chasing for 7th, I'm now chasing for 10th? 9th? I lost track. Just GO!!! It's hard, and I don't want to give anything up. I'm pushing, but not gaining. Through the woods, I can see my gaps are constant both in front and behind.... and that's how it stays.

Through the race with no drama. My place is cemented where it is. I check in with Mike, and he says he beat the guy he got away with and got 7th! Very nice, I ended up 11th... one place down from my goal, but I'm still pleased with that, especially since I'd actually gotten myself within striking distance of 7th... since I thought I'd dropped Mike. Again looking back, it's probably my lack of experience with those off-camber turns that slowed me down. My HR data indicated a constant effort over the entire race, with an average of 168, and peaked at 176 with a min of about 164.

Master's 35+
I now had about a half hour to get ready for the second race. Back at the van, chug my drink, re-pin a number on and put on the chip. Since this was the practice race, I also switched to the Tufo wheel set to get used to the drift aspect some more. Might as well get comfortable on them again.

When I did the double at Olentagy last weekend, my legs stiffened up half way through the first lap of the second race, so I went out on the course again, spinning light gear to try to stay loose. 10 minutes before the start, I went to line up and chatted with Ramon from COBC about their race while waiting to see how they'd run the Master's.

At first it looked like they'd line up and send off two waves, as they split the 35+ race on the line, and the 45+ with a gap. A guy lined up behind me, and I told him he really didn't want to do that because of the double, so I didn't feel bad on the second row with no one behind me. At 1 minute to go, they let the 45+ race roll up on the 35+ race wheel! So I was now in the middle of the scrum, and those guys were going to be fighting for position! That's a weird way to line the fields up...

Same as before, instructions, and we're off! I'm instantly moving backwards. And these guys are much more aggressive! Very "elbows out" riding. Into the first chicane, and a guy from the front row TOTALLY ties it up with the stake. Having to hop off and detangle himself. It makes me think of a hack! Run to the front row, then bobble some technical part and screw up lots of guys race. This one doesn't really hold anyone up though, and we're into the first off camber part. The field is really lined up, and guys are cutting other guys off to make up positions. I'm just trying to get through, cause I know I'm going to fade soon.

Half way through the first lap, things settle down as the field stretches out. I'm not sure where I am, but I just want to practice this course some more. So, I settle in behind a guy and ride my race. We must have been pretty far back, cause they give us the 4 to go sign as we come through the finish line. So either the front runners came in with the same time as the B's or they had much more time to figure out the race length. It turns out to be the former as the first lap was again near 7:30ish.

Once on the back field, I realised that the guy I was following wasn't making me work to hard, so I decided to go in hunt of the next guy, so off I went... I started to pick people up and then leave them behind. I actually felt pretty good. One by one, I probably picked up 10 guys over the next two laps. I had no idea what race they were in, I was just happy that I was not going to be last.

With 2 to go, I had another guy in my sites, I caught him heading off the back side and going into the barriers. Through the woods, and he's a little off my wheel. I thought I'd gapped him as I went into the 180* off camber. So I took it on a bit tighter line through... and the bike slide out and down the hill a little, right into this guys line! I watched him hit the brakes and endo right over MY BIKE!!!!

Ahh! "Sorry! Are you all right?" Grabbed my bike, we got them untangled! and I start to hop back on... but I'd rolled the front tire. Slam it back into place, and straighten the bars.... ugh! get the chain back on... no I mean it. GET THE CHAIN BACK ON! The guy that went over my bike is gone, and probably 6 other guys passed me while I was getting things back together.

Once the bike was back together, I started planning a stop at the pit. With the front tire off the rim, I'd have to swing in and get the spare front wheel. and I certainly didn't feel comfortable railing any corners. I gingerly picked my way through the front part of the course, and around to the pit. Switched the front, and jumped back into it... My bars are still twisted, and my right lever is off track... feels weird, but I only need to do 1 more lap.

By now I was pretty far back. I had no idea where I was, but knew I'd lost at least a minute or two with the mechanical trouble. I couldn't get lapped, because the pit was 150 meters before the line, so I was just looking for someone to chase, and hoping I wouldn't get caught. Nobody ahead, and no body behind... No worries, but no motivation... I made it through, and still wasn't last.

Post
I've got a bit of time to relax, as I wait to do some spectateing. The Elite Women's race starts at 1:30, and the Elite Men go off at 3:00. The organization is first rate, as you'd expect of a UCI level race. They post the results really quickly, with lap times. I check them out, and I'm indeed 11th out of 30 in the B race.

I turned in one really fast lap on lap 1, then settled in to something close to 8:40ish for the remaining 4 laps. Extremely consistent. Even more so when they post the master's results. It turns out I held the 8:40 for the first three laps of the master's race also. I lost 2 minutes on the lap I went down, and then turned in a 9:40 on the last lap when most of the fire had gone out and I didn't have anyone to chase. Overall I'm really happy with the results, as I was looking at 15th or so out of 24 in the master's rac,e before the bobble after already racing one race. When results are posted, I'll be updating my analysis on this part... cause I really didn't take a lot of time to look this over super carefully yet.

My HR was certainly down in the second race, but I was still turning in comparable lap times, so I'm guessing that I'd gotten a bit better at the lines, or the Tufo's were that much faster, both were possible. I also was running slightly less pressure in the Tufo's which may have helped, but I still felt both sets were over inflated. I've got to figure that part out some day.

"You just can't describe the pain of cyclocross... no one understands until they get into the race. It's so much harder than any other kind of racing." --Gary Dugovich, right after the Master's race.

Elite's
Since I'd driven all this way, I was really looking forward to watching the super fast guys do this course. I was not disappointed. Some of the guys got to follow Jon Page around on his warm up, and they were reporting him taking lines that they would never have thought of, and they were flying through there... a big difference at the elite level.

The women's race had Kerry Barnholt (Tokyo Joes / Van dessel), Anna Milkowski (VELO BELLA-KONA) and Rachel Steele (Bicilibre). All big names... a very exciting race also, as Kerry Barnholt went wire to wire, and put in huge time on Anna Milkowski. A local woman, Anne Schwartz fought like crazy to get to Anna, but didn't quite make it. She held on, and fought admirably, but just missed out on third as a hard charging challenge came from behind... great racing.

The men's field was stacked also. Jonathan Page, Steve Tilford, Adam Hodge-Meyerson, Andy Applegate... the current Canadian Champion, former Swiss champ, and lot's of UCI point holders. They did the call ups, and filled the front two rows with names, then UCI points filled the next two. Local stud Ernesto Marenchin (SoloGoat) then pushed to the fourth row when they let everyone else line up. Since C2 races only award UCI points 10 deep, and Ernesto was lined up about 30+ back, it wasn't looking good.

From the start JP took 10 away from the field. They were turning in lap times near 6.5 minutes.... wicked fast. Then the front split down to 4. Ernesto went down in the same 180* off-camber that I had in both my races, and lost tons of spots... at one point back in 37th place.

The front group of 4 took off, and JP split that with the former Swiss champ. They stayed away for the rest of the race, lapping guys like crazy. Behind the four, a single local guy was working to fifth, and a group of four including Tilly and AHM chased. Other "locals" included Ryan Gamm, and Ryan Rish, both in front of Ernesto, who was picking up places once the field has strung out. I did my best to give it up for Ernie.... I hope it helped.

In the end JP attacked heading into the 180* turn, opened a small gap. Then the Swiss champ slid out in the 270* off-camber and JP won by 15seconds. The Candian champ lost third by 30seconds or so... Behind, AHM won the sprint for sixth from Tillford in 7th... and I have no idea where Ernesto finished except that he made it through the race without getting lapped. I would have taken that as total success after seeing how fast the Page and the front guys were going.

I had to head home immediately after Ernie finished, but I would have loved to take a lap or two after the elite's finished, just to check out their lines around the course. Things had dried out considerably, and I'm sure they would have been easily followed as the dust was kicked up throughout. As Ernesto said before the race... "The local races aren't really going to help me. The only way to really learn is to race against the best..." (paraphrase btw) hopefully it'll pay off for him come natz time.

What a great weekend. I ended up having to miss the first local series race on Sunday because of family commitments. So there goes any hopes of a series place since I'm starting 25 to 30 points behind everyone else. Given the choice though, I really glad I made this trip. Maybe next year I can stay for both days... Pony up for a UCI license??? Just to see how many laps I can turn in before getting pulled... it's a thought.

6 comments:

  1. YOu rock!! Great job up there an mannng up for the double. After 45 minutes last Sunday I now know how hard a double would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than the book, The Rider by Tim Krabbe, this has to be the longest write up of a single race. :-)

    I wish I could've be there with you. Keep up the great racing and reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long write up cause it's for 3 (count 'em) THREE races. I only did two though, cause I'm not man enough to race Elite's.

    BTW I was the oldest guy in the B race, by at least 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude... You're an anomaly (say that 5 times fast)! Aren't you suppose to be getting slower with age instead of faster?

    Speaking of fast... Word on the street is that once Ray gets his cross skills down he'll be giving Paul Martin a run for his money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, thanks for the comment about me riding the sand. I'll be 13 next week at the Orrville race. Me and Tony Marut and Brett Evans have the same b-day. Be sure to have some cake at Orrville next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I was going on what Shawn said your age was... but thanks for the B-day reminder. I may have to take some cake to the race next weekend... I can't eat it though, cause I have to watch the boyish figure you know.

    ReplyDelete