Tuesday, April 29, 2008

RATL #2 2008

Week two of the series. The threat of rain reduced the field sizes a bit. SBR still had larges numbers, and improved on last weeks performances. Since I write late, I'm sure everyone has seen those reports.

I lined up with 12 other Master's racers for the 45+ race, half the size of last week. The field had 5 MVC. Rudy and Derrick representing Lake Effect, and Ed Delgros had a friend in his colors. The rest of us were on our own, though I think Braumberger counts for at least 4 by himself.

At the gun Delgros sets the pace for the first three laps (I'm not kidding). Then Jeff gives a few pushes up the hill to soften things up a bit. Being I missed the break last week, I was being very attentive to moves. The goal this week was to be at the front of the race... whatever that looked like. So, I was anticipating the next attack to be the one that would split the field.

The next two times up the hill, I was ready for it, but it didn't come. Then the bell for the first prime was rung. I half contemplated getting into the mix for the $5 prime, but then decided that Jeff would probably push right over the top after the prime... and sure enough. Delgros and and MVC fought it out, with Delgros on top, then Jeff went, and Rudy and I were right on that move. MVC and Delgros looked a bit surprised by it, but recovered as 8 of the 12 remaining guys took off.

I tried to be active, without working. The split still had Braumberger, 3 MVC and 2 Lake Effects, Delgros and I. We didn't really work this as a break, instead Delgros recovered and went back to the front. Braumberger started to just camp out at the back... my guess was to conserve for his second race.

I was feeling pretty comfortable, and still was waiting for another split. Rudy tried an attack through the parking lot, that I was all over. I pulled through, but we had no space... Larry from MVC took off alone, and was brought back. Jeff collected the next prime with no split. And the laps continued by.

Five to go, I'm feeling good. I certainly can beat at least two of these guys, if not more, as long as I stay with the group. With four to go, Sal from MVC takes off alone and gains a few hundred meters on the group. So we go to work again. Getting close to the end of the race, I knew we wouldn't let him get away, so I figured I'd help the chase... and did my share, pulling through the end of the parking lot to the sweeping curve before the hill. Delgros pulled through as I got onto the back of the group.

As we hit the hill, Jeff decided we were close enough so he goes and finished the catch... unfortunately for me, I'm 10m off the back at the top. It;s probably the most frustrating thing in the world to be 10m off the back of the group, being driven by the strongest guy on the field, and he's looking back over his shoulder to see what damage is being done.

I wasn't the only one off the back, Larry had come out before I did and was about 20-30m behind me. I kept the gap constant on the hill and into the parking lot... but could not close it. The headwind in the lot opened it up a bit, and I was about 20m back as we hit the hill with 2 to go... and Larry caught me back by the top.

The 6 money spots were all ahead of us, So we started to work together.... and still the gap stayed at about 20-30m... With one to go, it opened again as Derrick put in a beautiful attack on the other 5. Totally setting up Rudy, very nice and I've got a front row seat to see the action.

As Larry and I climb the hill, he suggests the group will slow to play the sprint games... Not with Derrick off the front though. Jeff jumps the gap to Derrick in the parking lot and goes by like Derrick is standing still. The group reforms, we're still 50m back... and Larry is opening a gap on me.

I see the sprint for money start knowing Larry and I are out of it... Larry's gap opens considerably, before I decide I will sprint for seventh... the hill helps out, though Larry is working, I'm able to close that gap, and get at least a half bike by the line.

Rudy got the group for second, MVC came in third and fifth, with Delgros coming in between. Derrick got a nice sixth place for his efforts.

I'm still pleased with this result. Room for improvement, maybe I could have stayed on if I hadn't pulled when Sal was off the front. Still, my honor is intact since I'd rather work and get dropped that sit in and sprint for a place that others did the work for. A nice effort for the day. I'll be back next week for more fun.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your being pleased with your results. I would rather be dropped out of the winning break then sit in all day hoping for a field sprint. The first two Masters races have been exciting. Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. Keep up the good work for RATL #3!!!

    ReplyDelete