Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Chagrin River Cyclocross Challenge: Day 2

Sunday's race at Brett's place promised to be FAST! By the time I had pre-ridden the course backwards on Saturday, it had mostly dried out. The run up in the opposite direction was ridable, and I had a plan for the mud puddle, going far to the left. So the difficulty was the first ditch after the start finish.... and the only dismount would be the barriers.

I expected a higher turn out on Sunday, partly because of the weather, and partly since it was Sunday. I also expected this race to be MUCH faster than Saturday. If I can ride the course that fast... I will not be alone.

I learn that embrocation on day two will let you know exactly where you were scraped up in your race on day one. My left leg had some extra burning during the warm up laps. I took a lot of laps also... I didn't want day two to be effected to much by day one's efforts. Advantage to the guys that didn't race Saturday and had fresh legs.

37 in the A race. We had 7, Jason, Zak, Dave, Derek, Tom K, Uncle Ron (his first of the year!) and myself. I again get a front row spot. This time between Jeff Craft and Rudy from Lake Effect. More of the fast guys are also there. Gerry Pflug, Brad Wilhelm, Mike Mihalek and Matt Weeks. So a top 10 may not be a good goal for today.

At the gun I get pinched... and really have a poor start. That get's guys behind me yelling, and puts me easy half way back in the field. Then we go almost immediately to the run up from the previous day. It's ridable if there isn't a cattle jam.... I dismounted early and ran through the pine tree to get a spot or two. Around the pole right behind Bill Marut, who caught my left lever trying to remount, and fell down in front of me. We were both stopped while he got up and back moving again.

So now I've got some serious ground to make up, but we're almost immediately back in single track. I make my move heading through the pump part heading into the mud puddle. Everyone else was staying left and coming back right, so I got past a few until the dry part had me pass Dave through the bushes into the mud. More scrapes I guess. A little bit aggressive for me also... I'm usually the guy that get's pissed off at others pulling that stuff.

Once things got spread out, it became more of driving well again. I was going better for some reason. Maybe cause I was to tired to really think to much. The bike did seem awfully heavy though the barriers.

I was picking off spots and moving. Then Zak came by me in the fields, so I tried to stick with him for a while, but didn't have it. Half a lap later, Ray came by, and I tried to grab that also. Still not enough....

When I saw Dave had a mechanical, and was out of the race, I half thought that would be a nice option. Then I could just sit and enjoy the sun for a while, and maybe get something to eat.... weird thoughts when I'm on the limit.

Greg from Carbon must have had a good start but was feeling the effects from yesterday, so I got by him. Derek again had a good start and was riding well, I ended up coming by him about half way through, and he stuck on my wheel.

So Derek and I go in pursuit of Ray, who's chasing Zak, who's chasing Jeff Craft. With Derek on my wheel, I'm pushing hard... partly to catch Ray and partly because Derek is still on my wheel. I can't shake him, which just makes me keep pushing.

Zak caught and passed Jeff, so now I'm thinking maybe we can catch both those spots. I have no idea where I am in the field, so the race is just focused on those three guys. Greg is behind Derek and I, but I'm not overly concerned that he'll catch us.

It feels like we're chasing Ray forever, probably two full laps. The gap to him is not moving either... when we go through the finish, I asked "how many more" and I died when they said 4. I've got 40 minutes, and they say 4 more laps? Are we really doing 5 minute laps????

Deep breath. 4 it is. I can count down now. Ray and Jeff seem to be coming back... oh this is good. 3 to go, 2 more times through that ditch. Dig hard out of the mud puddle... Derek is still right there. Ray and Jeff must have started running from us a bit to... the gap opens back up.

2 to go, and it dawns on me that I haven't seen anyone behind us for a little while. Where are the leaders? Then right after the beach section Matt and Shawn are heading to the run up section. AH! I do not want to get lapped now! Dig in and take everything as fast as I can.... Derek is right there... and we make it with maybe 100m to spare. I still want to catch Ray.... so another deep breath and go!

Derek shuts it down right after the ditch.... so I'm on my own. Ray has enough, plus he really wants Jeff.... in the end my race was to the finish line with one to go. Half way through the last lap, I just wanted to stop... it hurt.

I now have a couple more guys I do not want to start near. Actually, I think that's happened with them before... so I should have know. Either that or I need a faster start with elbows out.

I ended up in 16th on Sunday, but am much happier with my race. Having Derek sit on me for those 6 or so laps really pushed me harder than I could have pushed myself. It was perfect. Well, I probably could have done a few things better, but I have fewer regrets on that race than any I've done this year.

I did pick up a few more little tricks this weekend. The Ernesto magic stick trick will come in handy at the muddy races. Embrocation is really nice for those marginal days. I can race a bit more aggressively than I have been, at least push harder aggressive. I can run tubs at 25, and now am confident I can actually know I have 25psi in there. I just need to remember all this when next season rolls around.

We're at the halfway point of the season... or so. Three more races for me, then it's back to total concentration on work for a while. A week off before we head to Kent State! I think I'm still in the top 10 in the overall.... I wonder if I can hold on? it really has less to do with me, and more to do with who else shows up for the remainder of the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment