Thursday, October 21, 2010

50 turns by 10.

Being an east side course, Brent and I did a recon of the area a few Saturday's ago. I think I was pretty wide eyed at what we had hear the Solon course would consist of. I reserved judgement until the Thursday night open course.... with a high creek, that was to have two way traffic, and a steep descent, I was thinking that it would be a mountain bike race. Seriously, short track maybe? So I guess I'm partly responsible for the changes that put Kevin and a small troop into LONG hours on Saturday redesigning the course. Pretty much completely. In defense, I believe that ALL C racers, and a good many B and A racers were VERY grateful they didn't have to negotiate that descent at race pace. Especially after one of the race promoter team fell, broke some ribs and damaged some vertebra.

So, Sunday morning arrives, and we've got a drivers course. I counted 50 turns, many complete 180's, lots of tight stuff. There really wasn't a lot of elevation to take advantage of, so it was mostly flat.

Matt, John Bodell and Mehul did the B race with Bruce MacDonald taking high 9th place. Leah again rolled the fastest women's times to win her race. John's son Ian raced the Junior C race, and I hear he had a blast.

Zak, Brent, Jason, David Yohe, Tom Keller and I did the A race. The race started with a 50m LeMan's start, which is more than I've run in the last year... total. Though I'm not the only A racer that doesn't run much. I placed my bike on the forward facing side of the turn, and that worked well for me. Some one jumped the gun in the As, saying Go, as they did. I was fine, since I'm used to NOT getting a count down from Cinci. I somehow managed a decent run, and got to the center of the spiral in about 10th. Track stand, and then accelerate out of it away. I was feeling pretty good about my position, when at turn 25 (the 180 around the tree closest to the house), I turned too tight and went down. I couldn't get my right foot out of the pedal, and layed there while the four guys that were on my wheel went by. So instead of being at the front of my group, I'm at the back...with a gap. NOT GOOD.

I ended up passing a couple other guys that had mishaps, like tape jammed into a rear cassette... and they got back around me. Usually opening a small gap before making it stick. About half way through Zak came by me, and I couldn't hold his pace.

At one point, I was leading a couple of Lake Effect riders around for a couple laps. I couldn't hide my lines, since I needed to get around as fast as I could for everything. They each got around me at some point, so I sat on them for a lap. In the muddy descent I made a move to the right when they were both left, and got by both of them again. It was a bit dicey, as I was coming in hot, and had to stay pretty far to the right to pass safely. I still don't know how I managed it, since I couldn't repeat that move when there was no one around me. The move got rid of one Lake Effect, the other sat on for another lap, and attacked through the barriers with 2 to go. I worked to keep the gap manageable, but that was it.

Rolled in for 16th, with Yohe right behind me. I don't think I can help him race cross any better than he already is, at least on a dry course. Top 10 for Jason (5) and Brent (7). Zak ended up 14th, and Tom rolled in 21st as the last guy on the lead lap.

I ended up consistently running  at about 6 minute laps... after the first one at 6:10, I didn't think I was laying there THAT long, so the track stand and traffic must have helped slow that down. I certainly got a lot of practice turning, which goes with the result from the Dark Horse Cinci race. I still was 2 minutes out of the top 10, and 5 behind first place.

Good news as I am now on top of the 40+ results, sitting 7th in the overall. Currently the highest of the Spin/RR Donnelly team, thought that is due to a crash and some no shows. I have a feeling consistently getting 14-16 place, will not allow me to stay in the top 10 for the entire season.

Next up Elyria.

No comments:

Post a Comment