Friday, November 19, 2010

Alright.

In the comments of my last post, I was anonymously accused of cheating in what I called the best race of my season.

I heard when you flatted at Brett's day one you just cut the course to get to the pits. That is called cheating.

From the quote it sounds like more than the author think what I did was wrong. They obviously don't know me at all, which is fine. But being stand accused, I figure I can defend myself. So here's what happened on October 30th at the Chagrin River CX.

I was in eighth place. Chasing Rudy hard, and being chased by Eric Lesko, Tony and Zak. I'm pretty sure I hit something entering the first metal tube, like the edge of the tube itself, on the fifth lap. By the time I hit the beach section, I knew my tire was going flat. By the time I came off the beach I was having a really bad time turning... totally flat. So I knew I was going to the pit. Eric passed me on the long straight after the beach. I made the left hand turn to the top of the mound. Hopped off the course, threw my front wheel off  the bike, and ran into the pit. Sara Harper was there, and asked if I needed anything. I pretty much ignored her (sorry). The pit was two loops further down the course, but actually only 10m from where I hopped off. I grabbed my spare front wheel, and dropped the flat wheel in the pit. Ran back to the bike, and mounted the front wheel and hopped back on the course where I left it.

In my defense, Brett stated at the line that we could pit from anywhere on the course, since the pit was only a single entry, as long as we returned to where we left the course to continue on. This is what I did.

Meanwhile, I went from 8th place to 15th place... just like that. I was pretty much ready to pull the plug on the race at that point to save it for Sunday. I didn't, but it took a LONG time for me to actually do more than just pedal along in 15th place. I did eventually see that I could catch Mitch... so I did. He fought valiantly, it was fun working to get by him, and once I did, he sat up. That surprised me, but again... whatever. By then Robert was also coming back to me, so I latched onto him, and managed to get that place as well.

13th was a good result, and I was pleased with it even though I figured I had more on that day. But it happens. Sunday was crap for me, so I have a lot of regrets on how I raced both days. I learn from regrets, but I did not regret my decision on my wheel change, and still don't.

My thought are rather than accuse me of cheating (in an anonymous comment), talk to me about it... I really am a reasonable guy. Or take it to the official. Brett, or the NEOCX can easily DQ or relegate me for that race. I'd understand... and I don't mind if they do it retroactively.

It's not like any of my placings have paid anything, or will make any big impact in the A race overall standings. Whatever. This silly game we play has no real consequences and means nothing in the grand scheme of life. Really. Read the quote from Adam Meyerson on the right... it's true.

I could have deleted the comment straight out. I moderate my comments to keep the spam content down. Deleting it would do nothing. I responded first in a comment, but that might get overlooked. So, make it public. I'll accept criticism from anyone. I do reserve the right to give more credence if I know who is giving it though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    Brett was pretty clear that you could pit from anywhere on the course, as long as you exited and entered the course at the same location. Since you left your bike on the course to run and grab the front spare then returned to the location of your bike on the course to restart, I don't see this as a problem.

    Every person would have had that same "advantage" should they have needed to call on it - there was no prejudice in the decision to allow course exit/reentry.

    That's how NEOCX sees it anyway... Unless wildly off-the-mark of USAC/UCI norms, we are allowing race promoters to adjust their start and pit criteria for each course.

    If the events were UCI registered, there would be a different set of criteria - including tire width, etc. But our events, for now, are not UCI registered.

    Thanks!
    Gregg Brekke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, keep up the hard racing.

    ReplyDelete