Monday, November 15, 2004

BA Cyclocross 4 - 2004

The 2004 Bike Authority Cyclocross Series

November 14th, 2004

Fourth race of the series, and we return to the Fields in Broadview Heights. Same location, different course. Another double day for me, as I've got the OK to stay a little later and run the A race in addition to my normal B event.

The Course

In response to "suggestions" after last weekends race, they cut out some of the muddier sections from last weekend... in addition to running the course backwards in many location.

The finish line is in the same location, but we start in a soccer field. In the muck, and then onto the course and through the finish. We do a few twists before hitting a single track descent to the lower soccer field. We run along the close edge of the field to the first barrier at the stairs from last week. This time, instead of hitting the gravel climb, we turn left and head downhill to another bridge. Across the bridge we climb up a gradual climb to the parking lot at the top level. across the lot, and around a baseball diamond on some pavement with 2 90 degree turns. Watch your head after the second one, because the top level of the bleachers is right at eye height.

Back across the parking lot to the sledding hill descent. Bomb the descent, over some grass and hit the road for a climb to the star/finish level. We then head around another soccer field, across a parking lot to the log/barrier pair. Back to the main parking lot where we skirt the close edge, and get dumped back to the field at the start finish. Head around that field, and into the woods.

They cleaned up the woods section quite a bit. Instead of lots of twisty stuff, we got some longer wider stretches with only a couple of tight turns. Since we're heading backwards, we head down the slick climb, and up to the log crossing. Once past the logs, there was a nasty little S turn, then swoop through the end of the woods and we're back at the S/F line.

The Pre-Race

I'm currently sitting in second place in the points race. Brian Ramsey from Summit Freewheelers is in first with 71, I've got 65, and Ross Clark is in third with 60 (2 wins goes a long way). Everyone believes Ross is sand bagging huge... well except for his team mates, which I haven't polled. Ross is expecting his first child, so everyone is hoping he won't show. Really... everyone I talked to was saying this. The B race is supposed to be for sport MTB riders and cat 4/5 roadies. Ross wins expert races... but Lake Effect is not going to police the race. It's self categorized.

I can't control who is and is not here, so the real race is between Brian and I. He's consistently been finishing one place in front of me at every race. I need to eat into his 6 points, and now would be a good time to start. Last year on this course, I had my best race, and I was hoping to repeat.

Initial discussions with racers, including the sand bagging discussion, and I'm ready for a few prelaps. The weather is cool at close to 50, but sunny. I love this course. I bomb the sledding hill and maintain my speed into the road climb, up and over. There is some slow section on the upper soccer field, but using the berm helps. This will be a fast race with all the pavement. It feels like what everyone calls a true cyclocross course.

I'm playing with tire pressure again. My remounts seem to be bottoming out the rear tire, so I increased it to 60 with 55 on the front. I noticed a teammate Larry is here again, so I go to chase him down to test it out. As I head into the woods I hit a root or something on a corner and slide out... maybe a bit much pressure. Up and after him, and I find he's racing B this weekend. I've got help... such that it is in 'cross. I backed the pressure down to 55/50, and head to the line.

The weather has brought the people out. We've got 42 on the line... largest start of the year. Some guys that are showing for the first time, and some of the A's that have been getting thrashed have moved down to the B's. On the line... in the shade. Maybe I should have worn a little more... ah, I'll be warm soon enough.

The B Race

On the line, I get a front row next to Derek from Lake Effect, and Chris from Orrville. The ground is mucky, so a good start is important again. I want to be real close to the front going into the single track descent... normal instructions and we're off. Before I get into my pedals, Derek and Chris pinch me out... and I'm in 10th or 12th position from the gun!

Through the twisty stuff, I make up a place or two, and head into the descent. No worries through the nasty, and we're racing. I'm near the front, but it's an actual peleton in the cross race. Up the hill around the field and down teh sledding hill and up the road. We're still mostly together, and it seems like they want to stay that way. I was fine with that... it would be a different race then I've done before.

As we hit the first field crossing, Larry decides to blow this thing up. He goes to the front and pushes it. So much for my comfort level. String it out, and I'm sitting around eighth. Into the woods, one of the Ohio Bikes riders accelerates past me and hits a dirt mound for a little acrobatics. I'm behind Brett from SnakeBite, and Brian is close up ahead.

Through the woods, and the front is still in site, barely. I seem to loose a little ground on the wooded section, but then make it up through the barriers and climb over the bridge. Brian and I come out pretty even in the parking lot, and he tries as go around the baseball diamond. I just latch on, and we hit the sled descent... and I gap him, and pull back up a bit to the leaders. There are about 6 guys on the climb.

I can't hold the pace they've got, as they string out again, but I'm close... just keep them in site. Larry is looking strong leading the whole lap. I'm back on Brett's wheel. As we come around to the soccer field, Larry is pushing off a picnic table with a bottle... as 3 guys are going around to the woods. I pull pass Larry, and I'm sitting around fifth.

I manage to hold Brian off for a while, but he catches Brett and I again by the climb to the parking lot. Around we go, and I gap them on the decent/road climb. This is OK. I'll ride in my zone and make them work to catch me every lap. eventually they'll crack, I hope.

Third lap, and I'm still bringing guys back. Ross, another Ohio Bikes guy, and Todd from SnakeBite and John Lorson from Orrville (on his ss) are up ahead, then Brett, me and Brian is on my wheel. As we come through the start finish, I'm comfortable with this, and Brian hits the first of the twisty turns before the single track descent, and I hear him slide out. I expect him up quickly, but I see two guys pass him before he's back on... and I make the turn to the descent. I've got to go now, and increas this gap.

So I do... and catch Brett, and continue the pressure. Fourth lap, and I'm leading Brett around.The gap is opening, and we're closing on Lorson. Brett is still close, but it seems Brian is pegged. He's hitting the top of the climb to the parking lot, as I hit the sledding hill dscent pretty much every lap. And there are about three or four guys between us. I only need 3 guys to be even on points, anything better is good for me.

I'm gapping Brett on the sled hill/road, and he's pulling me back in the around the fields and in the woods.... but he's slowing down. Sixth lap, I bomb the sled hill, and John Lorson is off his bike on the road messing with a dropped chain. Sucks to drop a chain on a single speed. I'm past and start working more.

I'm watching the timing, and this has to be the final lap. Through the woods and I start hearing the bell... I'm in fourth, so I'm going to fight to hold it. I've got a good gap on John and Brett, so I've got to push. As I come through the lady with the bell is joking with an A rider, and I come through telling her to "RING IT". Off I go on the final lap.

The whole lap I'm saying "NO WAY am I racing with the A's. This hurts!". It's tough to figure out the gap in front, because we're lapping riders like crazy. I figure I lapped about 14 of the 42 riders. That and the A riders warming up, make it even crazier. Brent Evens is warming up and giving me some cheers as I come around and through the log barrier. I'm holding the gap behind, cause I know who to look for, but up ahead, I only know there is Todd from SnakeBite and two Ohio Bikes riders. I can't see them though.

As I get to the woods the final time, I see Rick, and that I'll catch him. So I push it a bit more. I catch him right after we get into the woods, and tell him to drive me through. He decided to yield trail, and gives me space. to pass... either way was fine with me.

Finish

So, Fourth place, seven laps in 52:56:00. I was about 2 minutes behind Ross, who won, and now has 90 points, and first place overall. I'm in second with 88. Brian came in 9th, and has 84 points. His crash sucked, but so have my bobbles over the past three weeks. I've got a 4 point buffer on him know, so I'm hoping to hold it over the next 2 races. Ross will do what he does. If he shows to both races, he'll probably take the first place. If not, it'll be between Brian and I.

As soon as I crossed the line, I started thinking about the A race. If I eat and drink, I should be OK. Lot's of chat after the race... analysis and such. Ross first, Toff Bolgrin was second. Brian came through and I talked to him about the race, and his wreck. I guess he went down harder than I thought. I kept expecting him to claw his way back, but I managed to hold the gap and break his desire I guess.

So the A race... I convince Brian to give it a go also... Nice. Then tell Brett, and he agrees also. So the three of us will go for another round.Eat drink... and eat some more. I don't want a repeat of the bonk I think I had last time I did this. They start calling the A race to the line, I grab my bike, and I've got a flat! Timing is everything, cause that flat could have killed my placings in the B race. I've got the spare wheels, but I'd rather not use that unless I have to. A guy from Spin and David Major help me get a new tube in, and I'm ready to go before they start.

The A Race

Line it up, and there are 14 A riders. Typical A race, I'm going to get killed.. but this is just a training ride, and it doesn't cost anything. I've got my Accelerade bottle in my pocket, and I'm ready to go. Off the line, I noticed that Paul Martin is taking a handicap again. We're all off, and he's still standing there... oh well, it won't be long before he' caught me.

OK, My goal is to finish and not be last. We're off, and Brian is on my wheel again. Through the first barrier, over the bridge and up the hill. and we're even. Brian pulls around me on the pavement around the diamond, and I'm in last place. No worries... It's an hour long race.

I catch and pass him again on the sled hill road climb, and we're back to the same place. around the soccer field and through the next barrier set, and I see a guy on a Steelman pull off in the parking lot. We're not last anymore. Brian and I change spots a few times, and I make some disparaging remarks about the guy that talked us into doing another race. It's only an hour though, so I'll endure.

I opened a gap on Brian through the woods, and that was the last I saw him. As we were came out, I was gaining on a Torrelli guy, who bobbled at the exit. I came around him, So know I'm in 4th or 5th from last. I'm not real sure where Brett was. Up the hill, and as I make the trip around the diamond, I see Paul Martin moving up. Not bad, I kept him off for about 10 or 12 minutes.

Around the soccer field, and I'm waiting for Paul to pass me. As we head around the field at the start finish, Rick is enouraging. Paul makes contact and goes at the switchback. I jump when he does, and they ask myself "What am I thinking! I certainly can't hold his wheel!" I let him go and settle in to my own pace.

The Steelman closes much more slowly, but catches me at the lower soccer field. He encourages me to work together, to which I scoff... it's my second race! After my initial reaction, I want to catch back onto him and explain "I'll do what I can, but don't hope for much, as it is the second race of the day."

Sixth lap, and I still see the Torrelli guy, but Brett and Brian are nowhere in site. I wonder if they're still in, or if I'm going that well. As I come through toward the woods, Ernie from Speedgoat makes the pass and I'm one lap down. Into the woods... and Brett is in front of me! What's this! I'm going to lap Brett?

Through the S/F at 47:00... and they are ringing the bell. Last lap already? "I'll take it!", but it doesn't sound right to me. I push a little more to tell Brett. I don't think they gave him the bell, because Ernie hadn't caught him yet. OK, last lap, let's see if I can only let one guy lap me. Through the barriers, and up to the lot. I see Ernie heading to the descent, and Brett is still making his way around. Catch Brett.

Bomb the descent and Rick and Kevin are on the climb... "This is not the last lap." I didn't think so... but whatever. Catch Brett!

No comments:

Post a Comment