Sunday, November 21, 2004

BA Cyclocross 5 - 2004

The 2004 Bike Authority Cyclocross Series

November 20th, 2004

This week we're back in Bay Village. On the south side of the park. I've got the OK to do the double again today... last one of the year, since next week will be the final race of the season.

The Course

We raced an almost identical course last year... in more ways the one. It's been raining lightly since Thursday evening. So we're looking at a wet course for the first time all year... aside form some mud at the fields in race 3.

The start/finish is at the parking lot, and we head east along a kids football field, around a tree and back to a baseball diamond. The course follows the gravel warning track around the outfield, before cutting back in along the grass near the infield. Twist around the fence along first base, and past the right field foul pole of the next field and along the third base line. We then crossed the walkway and looped around another football field to head into the first barrier set. Around the field through a deep mud puddle and back to the a paved section on the walkway, which headed back toward the start/finish lot for the first half of the lap.

Once past the S/F tent (going the opposite direction), we looped around the lots, and hit a gravel descent, that led us to the bridge across the creek. Over the bridge, and right turn to the sledding hill run up. This year, they directed the course around the hill for the descent that led to another wet field crossing. We did an up hill 180 that lead to a paved climb to the far side of the park. The course then followed pavement almost to the road, and turned back along the grass for the second barrier set. The remount was flat, but transitioned immediately to an off camber descent that lead to the sidewalk right next to the road. We took the sidewalk back across the creek to the main park area where we rode up another off camber rise to the main level. Some twisty, flat riding around the tree picnic area, then back toward the start/finish area with another mud puddle bath to ensure the "cross" feel.

The course was just shy of 2 miles, with probably a 60-70% grass/mud, with maybe 10% gravel, and the rest pavement.

The Pre-Race

I arrived with a friend who expressed an interest in spectating the race. We brought his bike, so he could go around a few times and see if he wanted to jump in and join the fun. I arrived early to have to to loop with him, and still get in a good warmup. Early, compared to when I usually get there....

The weather was threatening cross... more rain. It was cloudy and high 50's when we arrived. Brian Ramsey was already there getting ready. mark and I suited up and took a recon lap.

Very wet. The rain is holding off, but the grass is drenched. There are lots of muddy sections. I'm again grateful for toe spikes, as they will make the run up. Talking to lots of people before the start, I'm in the minority... on the good side. Most people are not running spikes, including Brian. Very interesting. I KNOW I'm faster than him through the run ups and barrier work... with toes spikes the wet run up may be the difference today.

Turn it is still good, I've got 2 team mates today, as Larry is here, and Geoff has turned out for his first 'cross adventure. Most of the usual suspects have arrived, with a few notable exceptions. Ross Clark is not here... good for me, as he was 2 points ahead of me in the points race. Actually, none of the Ohio Bikes and Boards riders showed. Brett Davis from Snake Bite didn't make it either. Now who can I talk into doing both the A and B races?

They had one section of the course going along an off camber along the gravel leading to the bridge before the sledding hill. On the second pre-lap, they changed it to go along the gravel path. It was gravel downhill, leading to a hard right onto the bridge. I hit it at some semblance of speed, and felt the rear wheel wash out. Rick and Geoff were behind me, and had similar experiences... not going to be fun there. I stopped at the end of the lap, and talked to Zak about the change. I figured the A's could handle it, but there were going to problems with the B and C riders. I suggest putting in a chicane to straighten out the bridge approach, and make it a bit safer. They put it in... but I heard Rudy from Lake Effect talking to an A racer about the change, and how the main complainer said it was better... whatever, take it out and see how many people go down then.

I felt pretty good on the warmups, and it does warm up. I'm again down to knicks and a jersey... and am contemplating the wisdom of knickers. Nothing I can do know... I certainly won't get cold.

I'm running about 45psi in the tires, and mt remounts feel OK. Maybe because the ground is wet, I don't feel like I'm bottoming out. I'm seriously considering tubulars for next year... or at least the tubular/clincher.

The B Race

32 on the line for the start of the B's. Impressive considering the threat of rain. We start at the S/F line, and I'm lined up next Derrick from Lake Effect again. I will not let him pinch me this time. Chris from Orrville is again close, but a bit behind me. I'm thinking the hole shot is the first to the barriers, but they are pretty far away, and it should be lined out by then... so the first really technical piece is the 180 degree turn around a tree, then hitting the gravel warning track.

3-2-1, and we're racing. I get a good start and am on the front heading into the field. Derrick comes around and apply some pressure... fine with me, I'll sit on for a little bit. Derrick leads it onto the gravel, and is a bit squirrelly... but holds it together. A guy from MVH comes around, and starts pulling both Derrick and I. Brian is hard on my wheel as we make the turn onto the infield and head to the barriers. Coming around the turn into the first barrier set, it's a lead group of 4, an nice gap, and the rest of the field is lined out. Back to the Start finish, MVH and Derrick keep opening small gaps, on me. I'm not concerned with Derrick, as I expect him to fade as the race continues. I don't know the MVH guy though. It's his first race, I think.

Down the gravel, and heading to the sledding hill. They've got a small gap, and Brian is close behind. I'm comfortable in a painful, cyclocross kind of way... HR at 168 or so. We hit the run up, and I make up the gap and pass Derrick. Now it's MVH and me, I'm not sure where Derrick and Brian are, but we have a sizable gap on the rest of the field. Like, I don't see anyone as we start coming down the other side of the run up.

I follow MVH through the fields and over the second barriers. We hit the off camber rise to the S/F level, and start twisting around. I'm glued to the MVH wheel, Derrick is close behind, and Brian isn't far off... as we pull through the S/F, MVH starts to slow dramatically, I come around as he's yelling "I need an Allen wrench!". I notice the nose of his saddle is pointing straight up!

OK, I'm on the front... start to push it. Easy turn the screws. As I hit the grave, Brian is on my wheel. OK, he doesn't have toe spikes, and I'm better through the technical stuff... this is a technical course, and I'm 6 points ahead of him on the points race. He can beat me, and I'll still hold first place... but we'll see what happens... start to make him suffer!

I am only aware of Brian behind me. Through the barriers, I open a small gap... on the run up, I'm heading down when he gets to the top. Push to open the gap. I'm into the barriers, when he's still on the pavement. Nice gap... push! It's the second lap, and I'm opening a sizable gap....

Start of the third lap... as I pull off the gravel and head into the infield, Brian is about half way through the gravel. This is good, I;d like more to be comfortable, but I can live with this. Larry is in third, shouting encouragement. Nice to have team mates. That's about all I'm aware of.

As we ride, the course consistency changes. The walkway crossing becomes mucky on both sides and the field past the first barrier set becomes a very wet mud puddle. Places that were just mud, become very wet puddles of mud... with nasty tracks through them. I try to pick a line through a straight, wet track and follow it each time through.

Third time up the run up, and Brian has maintained the same gap... through the barriers... no change. Down the sidewalk and back into the twisty stuff. There's one spot where I can look back as I take a turn. I guess I was to concerned with Brian, and not the turn, because the bike slides out on me. My left foot doesn't come out of the pedal, but it does break my rhythm a bit. Back up and moving in a flash. This is MY race. I can win this thing!

As I come through the S/F I see 24 minutes, OK, I'm half way there. Push a little bit more. See if I can open it some more. Brian maintains as we hit the ball field. I'm through the barriers, and toward the run up.

The technical idea is, as you approach and obstacle, to shift into the gear you'll need on the other side. So, as I approach the run up, I shift into a light gear to get moving again, and turn toward the descent. I shift again on the descent to a gear big enough to push over the wet field. As I approach the run up for the fourth time, my derailleur hits the spokes on my wheel! I must have torqued it in the fall! OK, so instead of a 27, I have to stop at the 25 now. Ouch! No problem, this is still my race. As I'm heading down the hill, I see the gap has opened more.

The 27 was extremely helpful getting up the paved climb though. Now I'm grinding the 25 to get it up to speed after the mud approach. It seems to work, because I maintain the larger gap heading into the second barrier set.

Down the side walk and up the off camber. I twist around, and I see Brian pushing his bike up the off camber! I've ridden that every time... this is going to work. My race, com on bike, just hold together for me for another lap or two. Through the S/F at 38 minutes... 2 to go. Now we turn the screws some more. Bill Marut is traffic marshal right after the line, and comments "You;ve got a big lead". OK, let's keep it that way. Push some more.

Brian is now just starting the warning track when I make the turn into the infield. Every time the course folds back on itself, I see the gap opening. I also see that John Lorson from Orrville is now in third, but pretty far back.

Back through the S/F and Bill is again saying I've got a big gap. OK, two more times up the run up. I'm still concerned about my gears, but I can work it. I don't see Brian as I hit the descent... Same thing, he's just coming onto the upper level as I hit the second barriers.

As I come through the S/F Derrick's wife has the bell, and I ask "Now?" She says yes, so I say "RING IT!" Now I push hard... mostly because I expect everyone else to. I know the gap is big enough, I've known for 2 laps that this was mine... but this is the last lap. Push, so I'm not caught, but mostly stay technically clean... hit the run up. My race!

Last time up the run up, I see Brent Evens doing his warmup for the A race. He says "finish strong". My reply is "I have to, I'm on the front!".

My buddy, Mark has been taking pics all race, and I see him at the beginning of the last twisty section. He says "This one has your name on it", and I ask him to get a shot of me crossing the line. Brian is nowhere to be seen.... I lapped one guy riding, and one guy carrying his bike. Mechanical would suck here. I tell him I'm the lead so he knows he only has to run about qoo meters. As I finish the last bit, I contemplate getting off and carrying it over the line. Instead I do a little six shooter for my first win ever! (image to come soon, I hope).

Finish

I pulled up to the road, and talked with Mark and Bill for about a minuted when Brian went FLYING by me... I called to him that the race was over! In the back of my mind, I sure hoped it was... wouldn't that suck? Blow the finish like that. Turns out, I was right. Brian never heard he bell.

6 laps in 53:45, just under 9 minutes/lap. I ended up almost a minute in front of Brian and a minute and a half in front of John Lorson. Looking at the times, there were no sprints in the race. It was pretty much spread out over the whole field.

I'd say toe spikes made the difference for me. Brian told me he could see me get up the run up super fast, so I had him there (just like I kept telling myself). He also said I was faster on the descents than he was... both last week and this. Nice little skill when I can use it. Next week, we're at the farm... which is mostly flat, but with some rain, may be my kind of course again.

Larry came in 12th, and Geoff came in 17th. Super first race for Geoff. He basically time trialed the flat stuff, and made up for his way technical ability. He learned super fast. I wish I would have learned as much in my first race as he did... By the end of his first race, he had shifting down, and was picking much better lines than I was. I would power through the gravel infield, while he was on the grass just to the left. I didn't even think about that line until the last lap of the A race.

Only way I'm doing the A race, is if I can tweak my derailleur to give me my 27 back. They've got a hose at one of the buildings, so I go hose it off, and bend the derailleur out enough to be semi comfortable. Lube the chain, eat and drink... and jump in the next race. I guess I basically AM stupid.

The A Race

I'm just about last one to the line up, and the only guy doing both races. My goal is to hold off getting lapped as long as possible. I didn't lap many people in the B race, so I was optimistic that I might make it on the same lap as the leader.... probably not realistic, but why not. Remember, this is training only. 12 starters, including all the fast guys.

At the gun, and they are off. I try to stay with the lead group (that would be everyone) but three of us fall of pretty quickly, like before the first turn. I'm second last heading into the warning track, when the last guy passes me. OK, I'm in last place... it may be where I stay all race.

It's pretty humbling how fast the A racers are, even though this was my second race, they had some serious distance between me and them very quickly. My goal now was to see if I could peg back anyone up front. The first lap of the second race has basically been me getting my legs tuning over again. Once I hit a rhythm, I should be OK.

First and second lap, I can see two guys in front of me. One on a mountain bike, and Mike Woods from Lake Effect. Just execute, that's all this race is... I slowly peg back the mountain biker on the second lap, and pass him on the off camber climb to the start finish level. Mike is up ahead, and I see him come in at this strange angle right where I slid out in the B race.

Third lap, and it's same as it ever was... except Paul Martin is already a half lap ahead of me! Damn, they are fast. I'm pegging back Mike, when I catch him at the same spot that I slid out... he says "That's the second time I missed that turn". I wondered why I could catch him that fast.

Through the S/F for the fourth lap... somewhere near 30 minutes..OK, half way. On the way back through, Ernie is now half a lap ahead of me... Execute.. and open the gap to Mike. I;ve got Chris Staneluis handing up my water bottle.. and Kevin Ward offering water about every half lap. Nice support.

I still don't have a 27. So I'm just watching my shifting. I can live with the 25, I don't want to break anything. Derrick is walking the course taking pics.. and shouting encouragement... I need it. This second race hurts.

Paul caught me heading toward the first barrier set. It took him 40 minutes to lap me. I do my best to watch for these guys as they come up, and give them whatever line they want... but I screwed this one up. I gave him everything left of me, and he wanted to go right.

Ernie caught me heading into the gravel descent to the bridge about a lap later, and I just took the turn wide, and told him to go. I had a good gap on Mike, and huge gap on the mountain bike. I couldn't see anyone in front of me...

Watch the time, and execute. Stay technically clean and just practice everything. I only get to do so many cross races a year.. and how else am I going to work my heart rate at these levels for an hour? Shawn Adams from Summit caught me at about the sixth lap.

Seventh lap... just wait for the bell... I see Brent Evens and a Lake Effect are battling it out for fourth and fifth. Brent looks to hold the lead through most of the course, but Zak is not letting him go. I'm just trying to survive.

Eight lap, and they are ringing the bell (hurray!), and I tell them how glad I am to hear that. Let's see what I have left... see if I can hold off any other lappers. Um, no. Brent and Zak pass me at the warning track. I'm hugging the fence, and they fly by... on the grass! ON the GRASS! Why did I see all those tire marks before! That would have saved me tons of time in the B race, and lots of pain in the A race. I've got to figure out how to see this kind of stuff.

As I pass the S/F line in the opposite direction, I see Paul Martin finish up. The mountain biker is at the line also, and Bill Marut is there to. Nice of Paul to let Bill do another lap... so he finishes on the same lap as the leaders, and about a half lap ahead of me. Bill won the B series last year, so that's where I hope to be next year.

I finish alone... 7 laps in 1:10:00... 10 minutes per lap. So not all that much slower than the B race. 10 place out of 12.. not bad for a second days work. I'm now in 16th place on the A roster... only because I did 3 races. 2 of them had small fields. If I could have done the same time as the B race, I'd have been battling Bill for his spot and I would have made the lead lap. Bodes well for next year. with proper training

Post

Figures that my win would come at the venue where they can't give cash or merchandise awards... that's OK. I'll take the win just the same. I had 2 goals for this year: 1. To win a race...any race, but I had a feeling my best shot was a cross race. 2. To win the B series points race. Today's B race met the first goal, and I'm now sitting pretty well for the second. With 1 race to go, I'm 9 points ahead of Brian, and 28 points ahead of Ross Clark. If I finish in the top 4 next week, neither one can touch me. Brian and Ross are the only threats. So I'm in for a podium. In order for Ross to win the series, he needs to win next week's race, and I need to finish 15th or lower. In order for Brian to win, he has to gain 10 points. 5 places, unless he wins, then if I come in 5th, we tie.

I've got the advantage of a points cushion. I could just mark Brian for the race, and then go at the end... or I could try to win the race. I guess we'll see how I feel next week. It sure would be nice to win again... that was fun. I could get used to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment