Monday, October 23, 2006

BA Cyclocross 2 - 2006 Kirtland Park

October 22, 2006

http://www.teamlakeeffect.com/

Second day in a row, and after a hard day at the 'cross office, I went home and cleaned two bikes for the next days race. No time for a nap, I just hoped to recover the legs enough to get back into the fray for Sunday's race.

Kirtland Park is that little park on South Marginal road across the freeway from Burke Lakefront Airport. I did my first 'cross race here 3 years ago, so I've got a soft spot for it. This year October Lake Effect have brought the venue back after not racing here last year. New promoter, slightly different course. For as muddy and sloppy as the Chagrin River course was, this was mostly soft grass.

The course started on a long grass straight away right into the wind. A few twists led to the first stair run up, which could be mostly bypassed by riding along the right of the steps. Then pavement around to the amphitheater, where we do 3 180 drops along the rows, the last of which included a barrier before the turn. Then to the second set of stairs. Drop down to the base level, 180 around a tree, and go around the from of the stage. From there we twist around the statue, then up over a nasty little hump and onto the gravel path. Twist around and through the playground and back into the wind for the start finish.

The course was pretty short, though I'm not sure the total length I'll estimate it at 3/4 mile. So lots of laps... The forecast was a rainy cold day with the high at 50. So again, I've got clothing issues. My choice yesterday worked out, but it's cooler today. So after warming up with base layer and a jacket, I opt for the long sleeves, and no base layer. If I'm cold, I'm not working hard enough.

B/C race was really fun to watch. After a one minute pause the first C racer caught the back end of the B race in a half lap... might say something about where that guy should be racing. He was turning in lap times as fast as the front of the B race.

The front of the B race broke into groups really fast. 5 guys at the front, followed by a chase group of 3 including Rick Adams (SBR). The groups worked well together but soon the front group split again, then there was two alone up front, followed by three and three. Some solid group efforts going on... even if the front two were not in doubt, the race for 3-5 and 6-9 was shaping up nicely. Tony Marut had a mechanical that dropped him out of the 3/5 group and he had to work hard to get back into the 6-9 group. Rick did a nice job of working his group, even though a couple of other guys surged around him.

Race:
At the line, it's the usual suspects with the addition of Brad Beeson from Spin on his plush full squish MTB. 10 Masters, and we're off. Brad sets a blistering pace at the start. I'm staying in 7th wheel into the wind. I seem to remember having some trouble getting around Derrick last year, so I jump a bit to get in front of him before the first turn. It's Rudy, Jeff, Brent and Brad followed by Bill and I and the rest of the field.

Up the stairs, and onto the pavement, I'm following Bill close. Up ahead, Brad is mixing it up with the fast guys... surprises me, but we'll see how this goes. Into the amphitheater, and we line it out, we clear the first 180 fine, but on the second one, Bill overcooks it and slides out. I hold it on and thread it around him and try an attack! I'm hoping to again hold him off now.

Derrick is on my wheel, as I try to drill it over the course and into the head wind. Ouch! This is work. Bill is a bit back, but I'm going to push hard to make him work to make it back. Through the wind is lots of work, I'm going to have to think about this now. Through the start finish, I ran a 4 minute lap... this is going to be fast.

I make it around for the second lap and Bill as back to me, Derrick is fading, and Brad is off the front three's wheel and headed our way. Bill makes it back to me by the twisty stuff, so I slow and let him take the lead... if you want the front, I'll stick on your wheel through the wind. I follow all the way through, pretty much the whole lap, I attack through the second stair set, and make him work to get around me again in time for the wind... I feel bad, but not too bad. He pulls for the second time.

I let him lead me up the first stair set, and I'm basically crawling up his wheel when he dismounts. I had a bit of a cleat stick issue, and screwed that up... so I think I should try and lead through the stairs... I'm taking them faster so it might be a good move. Bred is coming back faster, and I think Bill is catching on... I come around him and Brad before the wind.

This time Brad makes a move to pull through the wind... and I let him. I'll sit on his wheel. Bill is on mine. I get Brad to pull through twice, then I attack around the tree and open a gap. Things are smooth, but Bill is on the wheel. Then he gives it a go at the top of the stairs and gets a gap. He holds it through the twisty stuff, but I'm able to sprint back to catch his wheel. It seems to me that I've got an edge through the technical stuff, but Bill has got a bit more motor than I do right now. I'd open a gap, and he'd close it... he'd open a gap, and I'd be able to close... it was tight racing.

Up through the stairs again, and the front end of the A field is on us. Ernesto has attacked Paul and is on a roll. Nate and Jake are chasing as well. We make the amphitheater, and around the two 180's headed for the barrier, when Ernie calls the A racer. So instead of remounting at the top, I run the drop after the barrier to let him through... and Bill takes advantage! Totally screwed up my momentum, cause now I've got to chase without the drop to help. Ernie makes his move around Bill at the stairs. I hit the stairs hard and I'm back to work, I've got to catch them, hopefully before the long straight.

Down and around, they get 20 seconds in no time... Paul comes around me before the straight and again, I slow to give him space... not helping my cause at all here. So I'm alone through the start finish with 6 laps... YES 6 laps to go. We only did 6 laps in the whole race yesterday.

For the next two laps, I'm able to hold the gap at about 20 seconds, but I cannot close it. Maybe Bill has taken Ernesto's advice of only using the good lines when they aren't on your wheel, I'm trying to pull out all the stops. But that gap does not drop.

Brad is gone, so again I hold on for 5th. I ended up getting caught by 7 of the 10 A race finishers, and I caught 2 of the remaining 3. Pretty monotonous, but I'm coming around. At least it's a race.

Post:
Tactically, this two race weekend was fun. Even though I didn't come out on top either time, it was fun to think about the race and try stuff to gain and advantage. It's better than just head down slog through the 50 or 60 minutes.

It's now three races in a row that I've let time go slowing down while the A race came by me. I'm not sure how to handle this. I don't want to get in the way of the A racers, and slow them down, but I also don't like slowing down to let them by and basically giving up my battle for place. It's no problem when they pass me in open space... it's the technical parts that get me. Like passing at the barrier. I gave space, and gave up a place and momentum in being a nice cross guy. I don't know if I could have held onto the battle for the remaining 6 laps, but it would have been nice to find out. I guess the best thing to do would be to ride faster, so I don't get caught. I wonder if I can get that fitness by the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment