Monday, October 23, 2006

Chagrin River Cyclocross Challenge - 10/21/06

October 21, 2006

Snakebite Racing

This is the second year we've run this course on Brett Davis parent's property in Chagrin Falls. A mostly flat course of about 1 1/8th mile which ends up including everything except a run up and pavement. There's a sand section, lots of twisty grass, some single track through a stand of pine trees, off camber stuff, a big log crossing, and a creek crossing. We took out a barrier section this year, but we added a real set of 38cm barriers replacing the logs that everyone could ride. With addition of the beer tent, some thumping tunes, and temps in the 50's with sunny skies, we had all the makings for a Belgian 'Cross race, including some mud.

Lots of rain over the last week or so had us scrambling. On Wednesday, Brett told me the sand was under the Chagrin River. By Friday night, it was open again, the barriers were up and things were looking good. That is until Brett was clearing the leaves off the course and found our creek crossing was about 7 feet wide and over a foot deep. A little too much for us... Saturday morning we improvised a foot bridge out of some 2x6 lumber laying around... we set up a barrier on the approach so people had to get off and wouldn't try to ride the bridge. Because of the new barrier, we cut up part of the log crossing to make it more ridable and the course was finished at 11:50 for a 12:00 start.

We had plans to get two lines of vehicles parked along the driveway, but with the last minute course work, no one was around to direct the parking. With 71 racers showing, and almost as many cars, it was parking chaos. So even though my intent was to get a decent warm up, I was still trying to get cars someplace to go. Ah the life of helping out a promoter...

I had clothing issues... what shall I wear? I don't want to be cold... or hot. In the end I opted for the short sleeves and arm warmers... assuming feeling cold during the race last weekend was a fluke. With all the rain and the conditions, I decide to run the Michelin Mud's. I've got a set of Tufos, but have had no luck getting them to hook up in the muddier courses. I also brought the spare bike today. I've still got my Surly from last year that I've been using for commuting, so I put the Tufos on it, and leave it in the pit for emergency purposes.

B/C Race
31 B racers racers toed the line. Ed Delgros (Summit Freewheelers) set a blister pace to take the B race by almost 2 minutes. Ryan Wayne spoiled Tony Marut's (October Lake Effect) 15th birthday party by out sprinting him at the line for second place.

In the C race, Mark Kimmerle (Alan Factory) finished first in the field of 14, followed by Mason Morgan, and another birthday boy, junior Drew Bercaw (Pista Elite).

At the A/Masters race start, we sang a round of "Happy Birthday" for Brent Evans (Color-Me-Safe Racing) to round out the birthday celebrants on the weekend.

Racing:
There's the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, Richter Earthquake scale, and then there's Dave Carr's Mud Index, a 0-10 scale grading consistency of mud, starting at 0 for dry dirt, and going to 10 for river water. We probably hit 9 of the 11 grades (adjusted for Ohio conditions of course). Click the link to follow along at home.

Since the Linda Miranda's official van got stuck in the mud, we moved the start forward a bit. The 15 A's went off and a minute later, I'm racing with 8 master's and 2 women.

For some reason I got a pretty poor start, and am sitting about 7th. Over the last week, I'd decided I didn't really want the hole shot as it takes a lot of energy, and it doesn't gain me much to be on the front and then get passed... but I certainly want to be in the top 5, since that's about where I belong. The start is over a grassy field with a grade 1/2 (damp earth/adobe clay) mud underneath. As soon as the grass is broken, the mud starts moving. I take the line high just outside the flags to move into 5th position, behind the normal Brent, Rudy, Jeff and Bill as we hit the sand pit.

Shoulder the bike and carry the sand... and past. Right after the sand is a short steep ramp that can be considered a run. At the top we remount and head back to the field for some long passes across the field. 3 180's, and we're heading to the beer tent. Right before the tent, there is a slight rise covered with grade 4 peanut butter. Slick stuff here that claimed lots of B and C racers. Through the tent, and to the barriers.

Into the pine stand, and we hit a section of mud that was a mix of grade2/3 (Adobe Clay/Play-doh) with some pine needles thrown in for a nice brick making compound. This stuff was stick to the brakes all through the race. I was taking a line straight through this in warm ups, while everyone else was by-passing to the right. Back on solid ground, we take a quick 180 and head through the stand. Across a culvert, and out to the off camber. At the beginning of this section, it's through some slop (grade 8) before hitting the grassy slime (grade 6). The off camber made this tricky section fun to keep the tires in line.

Out of the off camber we head to the gravel drive, but not before a dip in some glop (grade 7) just to pack in the slime from the previous section. After turning along the drive, we transition to some more grassy play-doh, over the bumpy section and up to the back yard. Next up, the grade 9 soup that drenched the shoes and did some good at cleaning the bike every lap. Through some rollers on grade 2, and we hit the log. Twist some double track, and head to the barriers/ foot bridge/ climb. Around some more grade 2/3 stuff and back to the start finish.

Not bad, we probably could have gotten the grade 10 river water in if we'd not put in the foot bridge. So the only thing we missed was dry dirt of grade 0.

So through the first lap, and I'm sitting 5th most of the way, in the second lap, Rudy and Brent start to open the gap. Jeff jumps off his bike and grabs his spare, as Bill and I are still pretty close, with Bill doing most of the work. Ed Delgros has jumped into the Master's race after his win in the B's, and I'm pretty sure I can hold him off... being his second race should have cooked him for this.

Second lap, and Bill pretty much gives up coming through the start finish. Even yelling I'm cooked as we come through... so I give it the gas to open a gap. I'm third, and I want to hold this. Through the lap, and I'm avoiding the pine mix, but I'm still getting too much dirt in my wheel. I've got to hold off Bill and Jeff, as he makes his way back up. They somehow close the gap to me, Jeff gets around me, but is dealing with a rubbing brake. I end up not able to stick with him as he pulls away. Shortly afterward, Ed also gives it the gas and gets by me... how does he do that? Second race, and he's schooling us.

Through the third lap Bill and I are battling it out. He's some how recovered and though I've opened a nice gap, I bobble in the off camber section, where I almost hit a phone pole. As I get moving, I pick up enough leaves and mud to pack up the front wheel. I'm hoping to wash it out/or push it out over the gravel, but no luck... It's packed tight. I decide it'll save me more time to clear it. So I come to a complete stop on the bumpy section. I back the bike up and eject the crap from the wheel. The get moving, but not before Bill is back on my wheel. Through the back section, and I decide again to carry the log, hoping it'll slow Bill down. He makes his move as I remount, and I'm back to chasing.

Through the fourth lap, Bill is opening a gap. Bike is not shifting well, and it seems to be getting heavier with mud. I've got a pit bike, why not give it a go! The reason for the pit bike is a clean bike that should be faster than the slope covered bike... shift well and maybe I can make up the 20 seconds or so Bill has on me in the remaining two laps.

I have this idea, and make a decision in about 100 yards. Off the Steelman and onto the Surly. I make the change right before the rise to the beer tent. I run the rise, hop on and ride to the barriers.

I bought the Steelman to be the race bike, I knew it was lighter than the Surly, but I didn't realize what that meant until I lift the barriers... "Woah, this thing is a pig!" Even clean, I'm sure the Steelman was lighter. Smaller bars, are also instantly noticeable, but I should be able to make some ground! Off I go in the hunt.

Well, it turns out the bike change in this instance was a mistake. I buried myself over the next two laps. Unfortunately, I still have issues with the Tufos hooking up, and all the differences between the two bikes are really annoying... longer reach, narrower bars with shorter drop... It's also time to replace the shifters on the surly, as they tend to not shift cleanly. It's OK on the road, I know how to handle it... during the race, it was disaster. So instead of making up time, Bill opens up on the fifth lap. I haven't learned enough to actually pick up the Steelman again, so I complete the race on the Surly. In the end I lose a minute and a half on Bill, though I will say I sat up during the last half lap, when it was obvious a waste of effort to try to pull him back. Especially since there's another race tomorrow.

Post
Overall it was a really hard race. All the mud turned everything into a slog fest. Tough the bike change eventually turned out to be a mistake, I was not sorry I tried to race a tactical move. I guess it's time to spend on that bike and set it up right. Another set of Mud's may also be in my future. It'll still be heavy, but if I can get it mechanically sound, it may have made a positive difference in a race like this.

Check out Ernesto's Solo Goat Blog for the A race rundown. Ernesto Marenchin(Asylum/Speedgoat), Paul Martin(Texas Roadhouse), and Nate Ziccardi(Savage Hill) passed me like a train in the middle of the pine stand on my fourth lap. Shortly there after Ernesto and Paul dropped Nate, then Ernie attacked and held on for the V.

The Master's race was won by Rudy Sroka(October/Lake Effect), followed by a hard working Jeff Craft(October/Lake Effect) who recovered from the flat, and made up space from 7th back into second. The birhtday spot for the day was third, since the birthday boy, Brent Evans(Color-Me-Safe Racing) made it three third place birthdays out of four races.

After the race, we all hung out for a bit for cake and beer, and the podium. Pictures are sure to follow. Special thanks to Linda Miranda and Lynne Marut for scoring the race, and Brett and his parents for hosting a fun event, well fun except for the actual time I was on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment