Friday, August 28, 2009

How to "not get dropped".

I got out to the worlds again this week. Last of the year, so lots of folks showed up. It was fast again.

I still want redemption and maybe to make into the front end of the split. Kind of in response to crashing out of the one break I've ever made during the second RATL this year... it was really fun to get into THE move of the day. Plus, I need something after getting shelled last time.

So, as the race starts a couple guys go off in search of the lap 1 prime. Dave does some work to bring it back, with no one else helping, and since I was near the front, I did some work also... until Chris Connely jumped. I figured Dave and I had brought the two back close enough for Chris to make it... but he didn't know they were gone, so never finished it off. Oops.

Having done some work I went to hang out at the back to recover. It's pretty sketchy at the back... so I tried to not stay there very long. I ended up doing some yo-yoing between the front and back, and mostly working hard no matter where I was.

With about 7 to go, I was at the back when a group of 4 rolled away. Being at the back sucks because I didn't know who was away, except it looked like the big guys were represented, and the field almost came to a complete stop. So I rolled by Dave and asked what he thought? I didn't hear an answer, and the speed had me roll right to the front, past Paul Martin.... so I started going harder... and then I had a gap!

A gap, now what? No choice but GO! I tried to get across to the 4, and got about half way there in half a lap. Then I stalled, and I saw the other "John formerly of SnakeBite" coming across to me... It took him a while to get up to me and I was pretty gassed by then. So even as he said "let's trade short pulls" I told him I was done. The group had already gotten most of the space back, so I soft pedalled until caught.

Straight to the back again.. and I had to dig really deep to hang on. Then I found out Zak was in the break. I guess it was about then that Paul and the big guns decided to bring the break back.... which contributed to my pain, but I hung on. Shortly after the catch, another group got away with the big guns. Probably 10 got away, though seven made it to the finish. I hung on barely to the end.

So I still don't use the efforts I have at the right time. But this time I managed to hang onto the group. Another nice workout and that should wrap up the road season. It's time to get serious... cyclocross season is now!

No comments:

Post a Comment